Optimism, I Guess....

Well, despite a definite trend a/o this typing:
<http://www.sailflow.com/windandwhere.iws?regionID 4&regionProductID=7&timeoffset=-1>, a few glimpses of blue sky and flashes of sunshine have me so optimistic that our days-long spell of unbroken clouds and rain is breaking, as to hang a load of laundry to dry. Lord knows, I'm not complaining about the rain or the (eventually) cooler daytime temps but the constant cloudiness puts some of the garden's denizons, flora and fauna (everything except those damnable grasshoppers), into haitus and keeps me indoors: I simply can't stand having wet fur. Fortunately no pressing tasks, although, I have three long-fallow beds I'd like to get together by, say, October and really would like to get two winter deadfalls at least limbed out now that we finally broke down and mowed. One can stay pretty much where it lies but the other I want to relocate because it interferes with access to garden materials. As much as possible, we leave snags and deadfalls where they stand/fall because of their value to woodpeckers, who seem to like them well enough....
<
http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/ad307/balvenieman/stuff/01-09-09pileated.jpg
<
http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/ad307/balvenieman/stuff/croppedpileated04.jpg
<
http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/ad307/balvenieman/stuff/croppedpileated03.jpg
    Earlier today, DW heard and then spied two more optimists:
http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/ad307/balvenieman/stuff/07-06-10hawks02.jpg
http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/ad307/balvenieman/stuff/07-06-10hawks01.jpg
    Those are red tailed hawks, AKA "chicken" hawks, a native specie that is widely distributed throughout the American continent. These individuals are familiars: For several years now, they have populated the rearmost 1/3 of the tract on which we live. We provide a watering/bathing station (one of these days, I'll get a picture); the native bunnies and the neighbor's cats provide a reliable food supply.
--
the Balvenieman
USDA zone 9b, peninsular Florida, U.S.A.
snipped-for-privacy@invalid.net wrote:

If possible send some of that water to the northeast. About 102 F. and still with nothing moving. I ventured out a hour ago to turn on a small sprinkler about ft 5 foot radius for critters. Robins, Jays and a Cat bird knew in minutes. Our water table is still about 3 o4 feet too high. This may change as the word drought seems to be creeping about. Son went to Ocean City NJ for sun and water where it was ovder 90 on the beach. HOT. Some guy I read that predicts hurricanes Bastardi (sp) says step change in weather with this winter a cold one big time. Meanwhile a brisket cooked in 85 F. Sunday warming up served with this sauce.
1 C Tomato paste 1/2 C Worcestershire 1/4 Liquid Smoke 1/4 White vinegar 1/2 Mustard prepared 1 C sugar 1/4 C Brown Sugar 3 C Beef stock 1 t Red pepper 1 T chile power
Simmer 2 hours serve hot
--
Bill S. Jersey USA zone 5 shade garden
What use one more wake up call?

a brisket cooked in 85F??? What cooks at 85F?
Do you mean 185F? This is the temp that was suggested to me for saurebraten.
--
- Billy
In article

The Weber was 275 F. The outside about the ambient air that I walked about in was 85. English is tough with idiots like me trying to convey info.
--
Bill S. Jersey USA zone 5 shade garden
What use one more wake up call?

Two idiots separated by a common language ;O)
--
- Billy