the sets and starts did get a layer of
worm poo put underneath them when they
were planted (they grew well, very green
and healthy). the seeds and bunching
onions were planted in sandier soil
without any more input than what was
already growing in that space being
turned under the previous fall.
i'm suspecting the worm poo may have
been too much N for them and will run a
different experiment next year to compare
the amounts used and results.
all grown in full sun. regularly watered.
we planted three types (yellow,
white and red). small bulbs, no roots
or green growing yet.
my guess is that they went in too late.
spacing might have been a little too close
too. we had a decent crop and they grew
well but they didn't get very big before
they flopped over in the mid-summer. the
largest was about baseball sized. many
next year/season i hope to get them in
several weeks earlier and will increase
the spacing a bit.
the onion seeds i planted last spring
reached an ok size for what they were
(free onions). about golf ball to a little
bigger than that. most are left out there
as is to winter. we'll see if any survive
the winter and then grow on out. this
patch is experimental. so that is why they
are left this way.
i planted three times, waiting a few weeks
in between each planting. i haven't even
looked at them to compare (the earliest
plantings are overgrown with trefoil but
are coming up through it). we'll see how
they compare next spring/summer after being
neglected for the winter.
the same clump of onions that provided
the seeds for these came up and bloomed
again this season. i was rather surprised
by this figuring that once the onions
bloomed they were done. so again i have
those types of seeds available for next
year (not as many as the first time around).
next year i hope to add a few other types
of onions (the white and red) to get seeds
from. in a different patch than the gardens
used to grow the rest out. that way they
can be left alone to flower.
the bunching onions did not do particularly
well here. either they went in way too late
or they are finicky beyond what i can manage
without a bit more attention to detail. i'm
guessing that they might need a bit more even
watering than what we had this season and
perhaps should have been put in earlier too.
large/huge yellow onions if grown right.
these are plants already growing in small
they should have been quite a bit larger
than the other onions we put in (the sets
mentioned above), but i let them get overgrown
by melon plants and didn't get the melon vines
off the patch until it was too late. at least
that is what i'm thinking. when they were
growing and not smothered they were green and
doing well. also they could have gone in a
few weeks earlier.
we just have too many of these to worry about
them at all. other than weeding and trimming the
tops after they have flowered (bees all over them)
these are for sure the most carefree onion type
we have. wish i could get the bunching onions to
work like these...
overall, we should have harvested and cured
the onions and while i tried to get this done
several times meaning to do it, it actually never
did get done. so we were pulling onions all
summer and up until a few days ago. many of them
had some rot as the soil is heavy and we had a
flood and several rains. some are sprouting and
regrowing now and those are what we are finding
and eating the past few weeks.
still for the cost (a few $ for the few hundred
sets and around $5-10 for a hundred starts) it sure
was better than buying them at the store. at
anywhere from 33c to $1.79/lb that's a fair chunk
we eat plenty of onions so i was hoping to have
more to store and or make some relishes or preserves.
instead a lot of them went into salsa. not a bad
thing for sure, just not quite the same as having
some onions set aside for at least a part of the
ok, that's enough rambling on for this evening.
peace, happy gardening, etc.