onion flowers

I had been told that I should remove the flowers from the onions before they bloom but havn't read much about that in the forums, actually havn't read anything about the flowers in the forums, so should I remove the flowers??

I had some onions growing last year that went to flower but the onions themselves didn't get very big (I was told that my problem was that I wasn't supposed to let them flower) so this year I just put them back in the ground instead of tossing them out, they have loads of greens coming up from each one, and now several of them are getting thick stems with flower buds at the top, should I just let them flower??

Reply to
ackeiyword

Onions are biennials, so their program is to store food the first year (if we don't eat them!), then produce flowers and seeds the second. If they bloom in the first year, it's likely a sign of stress. The second-year plants won't likely have much of a bulb.

Gary Woods AKA K2AHC- PGP key on request, or at home.earthlink.net/~garygarlic Zone 5/4 in upstate New York, 1420' elevation. NY WO G

Reply to
Gary Woods