Olives In Containers

Hi, Everybody,
I have two olive plants in 10-litres (2 and a half gal) containers.
I put 1-metre (1 yard) long stakes - one in the centre, and three around the edge, tied at the top, making a tripod. Plus twine loosely holding the branches inward.
The plants themselves are a bit taller than 2 feet right now.
So how big should I let them get before re-potting? I figure that the next step will be 20-litre (5 gal) containers. Any idea on their ultimate size and comfortable container capacity? Having proper ground space is a few years away, but I would like to keep them going until then.
BTW, these olives were actually bought on impulse. I had had a conflict with a person, and thought that it would be classy to *literally* send them an olive branch. It worked (at least partially.)
--
Get Credit Where Credit Is Due
http://www.cardreport.com /
Endangered Bucket Farmer wrote:

As they get about 12 meters tall, you will need a bit larger container than 20 liters.
Add pictures here
✖
In article
snipped-for-privacy@thegrid.net says...

Yeah-but... They aren't anywhere near that big *now*. These are only maybe 18 months old.
And they will take years to be full-sized. And, by the time they are too big for containers, I hope to have some permanent ground-space.
Anyway, as soon as I have time to buy some 20-litre buckets, I will re-pot. Maybe getting a look at the roots (density) will help me to understand their rate of growth.
--
Get Credit Where Credit Is Due
http://www.cardreport.com /
✖
Endangered Bucket Farmer wrote:

By the time you plant them in the ground, they will probably be stunted and crippled by their years in a container and never achieve their full potential. So why not go all the way and make bonsai? Olive trees make excellent bonsai subjects.
Lorenzo L. Love http://home.thegrid.net/~lllove
“If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.”     Cicero
Add pictures here
✖