Olives In Containers

Hi, Everybody,

I have two olive plants in 10-litres (2 and a half gal) containers.

I put 1-metre (1 yard) long stakes - one in the centre, and three around the edge, tied at the top, making a tripod. Plus twine loosely holding the branches inward.

The plants themselves are a bit taller than 2 feet right now.

So how big should I let them get before re-potting? I figure that the next step will be 20-litre (5 gal) containers. Any idea on their ultimate size and comfortable container capacity? Having proper ground space is a few years away, but I would like to keep them going until then.

BTW, these olives were actually bought on impulse. I had had a conflict with a person, and thought that it would be classy to *literally* send them an olive branch. It worked (at least partially.)

Reply to
Endangered Bucket Farmer

As they get about 12 meters tall, you will need a bit larger container than 20 liters.

Reply to
Lorenzo L. Love

Yeah-but... They aren't anywhere near that big *now*. These are only maybe 18 months old.

And they will take years to be full-sized. And, by the time they are too big for containers, I hope to have some permanent ground-space.

Anyway, as soon as I have time to buy some 20-litre buckets, I will re-pot. Maybe getting a look at the roots (density) will help me to understand their rate of growth.

Reply to
Endangered Bucket Farmer

By the time you plant them in the ground, they will probably be stunted and crippled by their years in a container and never achieve their full potential. So why not go all the way and make bonsai? Olive trees make excellent bonsai subjects.

Lorenzo L. Love

you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.? Cicero

Reply to
Lorenzo L. Love