old fridges for planters

has anyone used old refrigerators or freezers for planters/ raised beds? seems they would work well.
snipped-for-privacy@msn.com wrote:

'bout the same as using old toilets I imagine. ;-)
--
Om.

was thinking of planting asparagus, strawberries, or some other perennial in an old fridge i have. figured laid on its side, doors removed and shoot some holes in the bottom, it would make a good planting box, and save a trip to the dump. anyone ever do this? for the life of me, i cannot see the similarity of this to planting in a toilet... but thanks anyhow for the reply. snipped-for-privacy@msn.com wrote:

snipped-for-privacy@msn.com wrote:

Sorry hon', I just consider using "junk" as planters to be a major eyesore. :-P It looks trashy.
I use Cinder Block or landscaping timbers......
It would work tho' as long as you don't care about things like that.
--
Om.

i here ya. thats the other halfs concern also. i also use cinder blocks for my beds, but our fridge went out, and looking at the box, was just thinking of putting it to use. once the doors are removed, and lay it on its back, it seems it would look like any other box. a little paint or contact paper would change appearance also. wasn't planning on collecting a dozen or so, just the 1. on top of that, we are on a few acres, and was planning on putting it behind the greenhouse.my main concern was how long the liner may last(enameled metal) since it would contain asparagus or artichokes, both long term beds. now if i could only convince you and the wife....LOL.