Ok, which one of you has my warm spring?

It's mid-April in South Carolina, fer cryin' in a bucket, and the nighttime temps are going to dip down to the low 40's for the next couple of nights! I want my warm southern nights, and I want them now! I will turn my back, and whoever has them can just leave them at the end of the driveway, no questions asked.

Usually I've already got peppers in the garden, and last year I was picking ripe tomatoes the first week in May. Not this year! I'm going to have to bring in the pepper seedlings that have been hardening off outside back inside for a couple of nights. I called Cross Country and asked them to ship the pepper seedlings I ordered from them the last week in April instead of now.

I'm a little worried about my hummingbirds, too. They've been back for a couple of weeks, and now it's turning cool again. I have up feeders and a couple of hanging baskets with nectar flowers, but 40 F is awfully cold for the little guys.

~fume~

Where is my warm weather?

Penelope

Reply to
Penelope Periwinkle

I know how you feel. Here in Oregon we had a teaser of an early spring from Feb 15 to about the 10 of march then winter cam back and won't go away. They weather gus were all complaining about drought but in less than 30 days we're all caught up on rain fall after a rather dry winter.

Tony

Reply to
Anthony W

It ain't here in SE Virginia, f'r sure. Furnace churning; skies dripping cold rain; poor daffodills bowed down by wind and wet. Where is Global Warming when you need it?!

Reply to
Frogleg

In Michigan, bone dry soils, 3 weeks of no rain (2 in the past, 1 in the forecast), I can't plant anything except where the hose reaches.

Reply to
simy1

Not me. Here in NW North Carolina it was 82 on Monday. Yesterday it was 64 and today it is 46 and raining. Some of the tomato plants (cherry sized and smaller) in the greenhouse are getting buds on them. I hope it warms up here soon so I can plant them out. The peppers are just germinating, but since they do not like cool weather I am going to wait to plant them out. Think I will start the squash and melon seeds today or tomorrow. I am in a new environment so don't know exactly what to expect.

Reply to
The Cook

I won't talk about florida then (high 70's [low 80's] for 2 months now and mid to low 60's at night) It's just horrible for my corn, cukes, maters, taters, peanuts, herbs, squash and pumpkins.... ;)

Reply to
Joe

I'd trade 10 degrees of our warmth down to South Caroline for some rain!

It's my mother's fault. She claimed to have brought the sun when she came to visit, and she forgot to take it back with her when she left.

8^)
Reply to
Pat Kiewicz

no kidding. I have not seen anything like that in the ten years I lived here. It's beatiful outside, looks like California, but nothing grows. Favas and peas have been in the soil for 20 days now, not one has come up.

Reply to
simy1

My garden sits on the high side of the yard, and it drains well; but it's still too wet for me to till! I tilled in a lot of compost year - I had a new tiller and tilling was fun! Fun! Fun! - so I might fudge a bit and just work in some around each plant this year instead of tilling.

I'll gladly chip in for a plane ticket so she can go back and get it.

Penelope

Reply to
Penelope Periwinkle

No kidding!

It'll probably show up about july, along with the high humidity.

Penelope

Reply to
Penelope Periwinkle

Ah HA!

I say we get out pitchforks and torches and storm Joe's castle...er...garden!

Penelope

Reply to
Penelope Periwinkle

It was me :-( zone 5 mid Missouri Warm not to much rain 2-3 weeks ahead of normal 82 F right now "normal this time of year is 65-70" pea's in bloom sweet corns up cabbage is up and tomatoes in bloom too! "thats a full three weeks early" I am not giving it back and to can't make me :-)

Reply to
steve

April 1-17, Avg Hi 83, Avg Low 53, Avg 69

Olin, Phoenix AZ

Reply to
omi