OK to use ammonia on edible plants.

When I read your posts I don't reach that conclusion.

As manufacturing jobs disappear to automation now early in the information revolution the way agricultural jobs disappeared to industrial farming tools early in the industrial revolution, phyical capital gradually declines in value. Does this mean that intellectual property is the next type of capital?

Reply to
Doug Freyburger

...snip 10K of irrelevant propaganda .....

Billy you are looking worse by the day. You are taking up stupid positions like the above where anybody who doesn't agree with you, including those who just want to talk about gardens, must be The Enemy. This is looking very paranoid. Why does a comment that you are OT deserves another long OT tract in return? Clearly nobody is going to read this kind of drivel, in posting it constantly your judgement is now faulty to a tee. If you must talk politics and save the world there are plenty of NGs where that is on topic.

As well as posting content that is useless for this forum you are getting more abusive. This kind of thing is entirely inappropriate:

The way you are going you will be killfiled by everybody here if you keep it up. Please reconsider before you self-destruct.

David

Reply to
David Hare-Scott

Who cares. It's the concentration of capital that's obscene. Where are the jobs?

Reply to
Billy

When ignorance is bliss, tis folly to be wise.

Do what you got to do.

And he gave it for his opinion, that whoever could make two ears of corn, or two blades of grass, to grow upon a spot of ground where only one grew before, would deserve better of mankind, and do more essential service to his country, than the whole race of politicians put together.

-  Jonathan Swift, Gulliver's Travels

Reply to
Billy

No. When trying to get a message over it is folly to shout abuse in your listener's face because that will ensure they never get the message. You defeat yourself without the opposition doing a thing. This is religious behaviour and not rational.

So you don't care if you get killfiled, yet you so desperately want to be heard. Do you see any contradiction here?

You are like fanatics who stand on street corners in the rain for hours bearing witness to their faith. They imagine that they are giving people the opportunity to change their lives for the better, when in fact all they are doing is getting wet. It's self indulgent and pointless.

David

Reply to
David Hare-Scott

David, I like you, but, sometimes, what I perceive as your blind spots make me want to scream.

What? You've taken a vote? (Yes, sarcasm)

He wasn't a listener, he was an accuser. If he had wanted to refute me, he could have, but he didn't. I'm not thin skinned. If he had wanted to argue the value of neo-liberalism, we could have left it there, but he chose to smear me as a propagandist, i.e. a hypocrite. I've done some investigation into how the U.S. has arrived at it's present state of crisis, and I've tried to reflect what I've learned. Which is why I document my quotes. If my perception of reality is offensive to you, I think you should kill file me. We have a coup d'etat going on in the U.S., where already 90% of the media is in corporate hands. [As the New Yorker's former press critic, A.J. Liebling, famously said, "Freedom of the press is guaranteed only to those who own one." Perhaps that quotation is framed somewhere in a boardroom at the General Electric Corp., which owns NBC News. ] To clarify this point, I should point out that G.E. is also a weapons manufacturer, who has paid no taxes for the last 2 years in spite of robust profits of $14.2 billion worldwide. So don't look to mass media news to find out if the neo-liberals* are coming.

They have been very quiet on the subjects of police blocking entrances to public buildings, and legislation being conducted in secret.

That wasn't a command.

There are others who share the vision of America being pillaged. There are those who don't want to be bothered, and there are those who don't want it mentioned.

If I am in a cinema and see a fire and shout,"FIRE", I'm not going to be too concerned with some guy who says,"Pipe down, I'm trying to watch the movie".

Now, there you go again, characterizing me. Normally this would be called an ad hominem attack. Why would you do that? Too lazy to use logic or facts? In any event, all analogies fall apart at some point, because they aren't the reality.

The second shoe drops. You do see what you are doing, don't you?

To sum up, I give my point of view, and I give supporting citations. You could argue that this isn't the proper place to express my views, but in this case, it was where my credibility was called into question.

*What is neoliberalism? In his Brief History of Neoliberalism, the eminent social geographer David Harvey outlined "a theory of political economic practices that proposes that human well-being can best be advanced by liberating individual entrepreneurial freedoms and skills within an institutional framework characterised by strong private property rights, free markets, and free trade." Neoliberal states guarantee, by force if necessary, the "proper functioning" of markets; where markets do not exist (for example, in the use of land, water, education, health care, social security, or environmental pollution), then the state should create them.

Guaranteeing the sanctity of markets is supposed to be the limit of legitimate state functions, and state interventions should always be subordinate to markets. All human behavior, and not just the production of goods and services, can be reduced to market transactions.

Reply to
Billy

Well that off topic out of print book I posted "We're number one" which is out of print is so simple and so easy to understand I wonder if anyone will read it.

A token dealing with education circa 1989.

US is Number one in compulsory education. US is number one in funding to private education. US is 17 in monies to public education.

This from a pool of 19 industrialized countries.

Want more find the book.

Reply to
Bill who putters

David,

What can you say?

Neither of these two lil Walter Mitty Bolsheviks have a clue. Not likely they will anytime in the future either.

Reply to
Gunner

When trying to get a message over it is folly to shout abuse in your

If my perception of reality is offensive to you, I

Why don't you think about using your own killfile rather than arguing with people who you find offensive or irritating?

This is after all a gardening group and unfortuantely there is less and less gardening disussion every week. It's getting to the point where it's almost not worth reading these days.

Reply to
FarmI

I couldn't agree more. The current population of "political evangelists" and arrogant academics is quite disconcerting. We used to ask and answer gardening questions in an attempt to help ourselves and others produce food. Today almost everyone wants to get up on their soapbox and preach their new religion or answer questions from a book (rather than actual experience). This group is slowly dying, it's a real shame. Steve

Reply to
Steve Peek

I agree, without this continuous piling-on we could have moved on to gardening matters instead of turning mole hills into mountains, just so someone else could voice THEIR opinion. It's a real pity.

Steve, what are you doing different this year in your garden? What problems are you trying to fix. Fran, how did your garden do this year? What did you learn? What will you do different next year?

It almost made me ill yesterday to be pulling potato plants out of the bed in which they grew last year. I had no idea that potatoes could be so invasive. They have been moved to another bed that is less ideal, but that is where they will remain. Growing so many varieties of Solanaceae (potatoes, tomatoes, peppers) that it's difficult to get any kind of crop rotation going.

Our tomatoes have germinated, as have the squash (zukes and crooks), and brocolli. Peas are in the ground and we're about to plant more to fill in one trellis and start another. Some of the peas have died. Not sure if it's lack of water, or insects, but most are fine. Had our first serving of Swiss chard. I think I over did it with my attempts to gussy it up with bacon and onion.

Need to do some weeding today. It's mostly henbit. I'm hoping to make a salad from some of the kill, along with dandelion and stinging nettle. My other weeds are also mint (spear & pepper). They make my tisanes (hawthorn, yarrow) taste more drinkable as I don't use honey.

OK, who's next? Don't be bashful. We got a gardening group to run here, right? ;O)

If you like weekends (8 hr./day & 40 hr./week), then thank a labor union. They paid for it in blood. Real working class heros.

=
Reply to
Billy

Well, let's see. The fall planted garlic is about 18 inches tall. I've never grown hardneck garlic and am greatly looking forward to the scapes. The Candy onions from Dixondale Farms are growing well. I planted 2 bunches. There were supposed to be 60 plants per bunch & I ended up with 234 plants. (if you grow sweet onions & don't deal with these folks you're messing up) I've got a 40 foot row of spinach that's starting to get true leaves. I've always had germination with spinach, but not this year! The beets are just starting to show, no sign of the parsnips yet, Cabbage is growing well & I'm still waiting on the mache to sprout. This is my first time ever for mache, so I don't know quite what to expect.

I've got the prettiest row ever of sugar snap peas. They're only a couple of inches tall, but I see a trellis in the near future. The tomatoes under the grow light are just starting to show the first true leaf. Only a few peppers have sprouted, I'll start more peppers and eggplant next week. I've got a whole flat of bibb and romaine lettuce ready to go in, but it rained last night and the ground is too wet.

I don't know if I've ever posted here, but I'm an advocate of eating your weeds. Like Billy, I have henbit in the garden now along with chickweed, upland cress and violets. I occasionally teach an edible plants class and am always amazed at the number of people who would starve while sitting in a patch of food.

I got a great buy on some thornless blackberry plant early this spring & they are starting to grow. The apples are blooming, The bees are working like mad, the blueberries are about a week out. I picked about 2 pounds of morels yesterday and will go for some ramps (wild leeks) this week. Life is good (if way too busy) this time of year!

Steve

Reply to
Steve Peek

It was a so so year (but then isn't every year like that for some crop or other?).

The plants that like the heat didn't do as well as they should have as we've had a coolish summer. The tomatoes are only now turning ripe and coming off the bushes in any decent number and we're now well into autumn. The zucchinis didn't try to strangle us in our beds and I didn't have a huge glut to split and give to the chooks. We did have a glut of Lebanese cucumbers but I suspect that the reason why this happened is because they've now self seeded themselves for a few years and so are used to our climate. The fruit (prunes/plums, nectarines, peaches, apples, quinces and pears) have all done brilliantly and we have had a bumper year to the poitn where I'm sick of dealign with the harvest.

Look after the trees better, get planting more veg earlier. Try to be more organised and focus more at the right time of year.

:-)) Yup. I've still got Purple Congo spuds coming up in a place where I planted them at least 10 years ago.

They have been moved to another bed that is less ideal, but

I just like the mint on it's own in 'tea' form.

Well David and I can sit back and put our feet up and read our gardening catalogues or chew the fat. You northern hemisphereans will be very busy.

Reply to
FarmI

This is puzzling. Iron phosphate is mainly to kill snails and slugs neither of which are larvae of anything. What did you mean?

David Hare-Scott

I guess if Billy wants to talk about gardening I'll take him out of the bozo-bin.

-snip-

Meanwhile, up in zone 5. . . I put some onion sets in yesterday. I plant some chard when I get to it.

My second set of peppers are starting to sprout in the basement. A mouse got the first sprouts. [and I got 2 mice so far] I'm trying to come up with a plan to warm those seedlings up a bit.

I tried one of those eaves de-icer cables on a thermostat. Epic fail-- it got hot enough to melt the styrofoam it was sitting on-- and blew a couple holes in the insulation where it was near some metal. I have an old heating pad-- but it shuts off after 2 hours. I'd like something that will cycle with the lights-- and don't want to pay the $50 that I see for seed starting heaters.

The war on rabbits has begun. The live trap has removed one and another is taking the apple from in the trap-- but not past the trigger.

I have some onions and scallions sprouting in the basement.

Need to plant tomatoes in the basement-- I got lots of colored cherry tomatoes to play with.

The watercress in the tiny-pond is starting to look edible-- but not enough of it to keep the algae down. I need to put the UV light in again.

No weeds in my garden yet-- I miss the purslane that used to be prolific there.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

I'm sorry, part of my disability includes "brain fog". I was "layering Ferric phosphate with Bt. Bt is deadly only to the larvae, Ferric phosphate is harmless to mammals. I apologize for the confusion. Steve

Reply to
Steve Peek

If you are not a "teatotaler" learn to make wine. All those fruits make lovely wine.

That's for sure, there's not enough hours in the day this time of year.

Reply to
Steve Peek

Reply to
Steve Peek

We had the same lack of heat last year, with the same results.

Sounds like winter is coming just in time ;O)

I think we could all do well to write that in our gardening helmets (hats).

The arugula and mustard are also tenacious hanger-oners. I finally was able to stamp out the arugula, but I can accommodate a certain amount of mustard to flavor the salads.

I do too. First I had mint tea "straight" was in a mosque's tea garden, sitting in the shade on a warm day, but I need to drink my hawthorn and milk thistle teas (still part of the European Pharmacopoeia), and the dried stuff is not very alluring. The mint makes the experience more inviting. I could drink it straight, but I'm supposed to keep my fluid consumption down.

Here's hoping you antipodaleans have a good rest, stay warm, and can start planning your 2011 gardens.

OK, who's next? Tell us of your gardening hopes and dreams, your failures and successes, and how you plan on dealing with them this year. Don't be timid. What may seem to be a small thing to you, can be a big thing to someone else.

We got a gardening group to run here, so step on up and keep it going.

"All gardeners know better than other gardeners." - Chinese right? ;O)

Reply to
Billy

Can you say,"Coup d'etat"?

Anyway, in this gardening group, it is a good idea to tape up a roll of dimes (careful, it is illegal) to keep in your pocket (You never know when they may come in handy.), and be sure to have a date for Beltane (hope it's a warm day:O).

When it comes to heating pads and Epson Salts avoid nurseries. They seriously over charge. Go to a local pharmacy (preferably local). They have much better prices.

You probably know that Purslane contains more omega-3 fatty acids (alpha-linolenic acid in particular[4]) than any other leafy vegetable plant.

It is conjectured that hunter/gatherers had a 1 to 1 ratio of omega-3 to omega-6 fatty acids. Today that ratio is more like 1 to 10.

In general, the advice is to eat more leaves and less grains. Unpolluted, non-toxic fish are also a good source for omega-3s as well, because the fish eat grass (algae) or things that eat algae, or phytoplankton (krill).

"When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant." - Anon

-
Reply to
Billy