Oh, how I love summer

Dinner tonight was shrimp with sweet peppers, tomatoes, basil, garlic and some "hand made" pasta from Trader Joes. Peppers and basil from my greenhouse and garden, respectively; purple tomatoes from the Farmer's Market (mine are coming along, but still green).
So good, and my son (the other omnivore in the house) picked out the shrimp and pasta, so I got a double helping of the veges. And two glasses of wine.
I have checked all around here and can not find any "Purple tomato" plants or seeds, where can one find these things I hear that they are almost as good as a Utah steak size tomato. thanks
Rusty North Texas

wawwiz wrote:

Imho, the purple tomatoes are just plain the best. There's something rich about the flavor. There are a few different varieties: the local farmer with the best tomatoes sells mixed purples in a single bin.
Johnny's Selected Seeds always has a good selection of high-quality seeds; Google shows tomatoseeds.net having a few varieties, but I've never ordered from them.
They are also sometimes called "black" - I can't seem to see much difference in color or taste. The color is more of an overlay on the standard red; theye are neither truly purple nor deep black. Varieties include:
Purple Cherokee Black Krim Black Brandywine Purple Branywine Purple Calabash Black Prince
and so on.

http://rareseeds.com /
http://seedsavers.org /
Both reputable and outstanding.