O.T. (What else?) Down in the dirt.

In 1994 a cave was found just north of Marseilles, France in a region known as the Ardech. The pictures and engravings in the cave are of a modern style that uses perspective that wouldn't be seen again in western art until the Renaissance. The cave, Chauvet-Pont-de-Arc, contains art that is 32,000 years old, and is the oldest of an art tradition that lasted 20,000 years (the original classic tradition).

For a virtual tour go to: The Cave of Chauvet-Pont-de-Arc

and click on "visit the cave".

The archeology of cave panting is only 150 years old and is populated by a wide array of personalities. To learn about these archeologist, the caves, and the development of the understanding of the caves, I'd recommend the following for your wintery reading. The Cave Painters: Probing the Mysteries of the World's First Artists by Gregory Curtis

If reading isn't your thing, a movie about The Cave of Chauvet-Pont-de-Arc is about to be released.

Cave of Forgotten Dreams by Werner Herzog

get out there and stretch those minds.

And good reading to you.

Reply to
Billy

Here is another.

sure to visit the grotto.

Reply to
Bill who putters

Thanks for the citation

Lascaux (18,000 years old), and Altamira in Spain (also 18,000 years old) are the most densely painted caves. Chauvet is 32,000 years old, yet all three are done in the same style, using the same techniques over a 14,000 year period (FOURTEEN THOUSAND YEARS!!!).

Chauvet is the oldest and the most enigmatic of the caves, because its art seems to be born in full bloom with no hesitancy or false starts. Where did these artists come from, and what were they trying to say? Thoughts to ponder, on a cold wintery day.

Further reading:

Reply to
Billy

I think I saw the answer on an old Star Trek TV program. It was the same guy. ;)))

Humanity so mysterious and just a cause to wonder in AWE. About to start some pears and Onions as a side dish . Being omnivore a good thing but my future art work for grand kids will not make 30 K maybe .25 K. The cave art it unifiable if that is the right word it just a miracle a past with images we now cherish.

Reply to
Bill who putters