not a creature was stirring

on TG yet! :)

hope everyone has a warm and happy TG today!

songbird

Reply to
songbird

Ours will be Sunday, half the grands will be working today, eldest grandson drives a UPS truck, the next one down is an elevator mechanic and has a big job today and tomorrow. There will be sixteen of us in a

1400 square foot house with six kids in that crew, some little ones will certainly be running around under foot and making lots of noise. Eldest grandson has four daughters and the next one down has two sons. It's going to be noisy and lots of fun and good food. Guess who taught our daughter to cook?

George, up early again giving the allergic dawg her meds.

Reply to
George Shirley

George Shirley wrote: ...

we are in the lull between generations now, the younger ones are just getting married and thinking about having kids. us older ones are happily whatever. the noisy time is the idiot dog barking.

hope y'alls have a great time!

songbird

Reply to
songbird

We generally do have a great time. I keep telling my kids and grands that "I made you, I can kill you and make another one." I don't think the grands are afraid anymore, two men and a woman, all in their early thirties, all over six feet tall and above 200 lbs, I'm not sure if they think they can take me nowadays. The great grands are still to young to worry about, eldest just turned sixteen but the rest are younger. When I met Miz Anne in 1958 I never dreamed we would have such a large, extended family. I even like the spousal units they have, all good women and men, hard workers too.

Sometimes they show up when we're doing heavy lifting and make us sit in chairs and watch how they work. It doesn't get any better than having descendants that truly love you and vice versa.

I'm slowing down again, partially paralyzed body parts just aren't cooperating any more but I'm still getting around, Thank goodness for electric carts at the supermarket. Went in, as usual, for our Friday grub shopping. Mr. Kroger sent me $40 of checks and we saved over $70 with all the coupons, etc.

Wife discovered we were out of booze with the exception of Jim Beam whiskey. Bought a half gallon of vodka, a quart of tequila, and a quart of rum. And I don't even drink the stuff. I reckon she got enough to last as long as the last bunch, which, I think, we bought 20 years ago. Booze sure went up in price over 20 years. It's not that I'm against alcohol but I am diabetic and Native American too. That stuff could either kill me or make me kill someone else.

It warmed up again today, heavy, dark clouds out there and we are hoping for some more rain. So far this month we've had almost two inches and that's not enough.

Cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, kale, etc. all growing like crazy, looks to be another good winter crop. Problem is that we have 30 cubic feet of freezer and it is all full. I don't think we will go hungry for awhile.

George

Reply to
George Shirley

Our toasted cheese was with mustard - close enough to Welsh rabbit/raebit that I basically never bother with the actual thing. Other than that, a lot of "clean out the freezer" eating has been going on as we discover various things lurking in there.

Fruit cake - no wonder she needs booze...though I guess that sort is actually all done baking by summer so it can marinate until wintertime. I'd like to get my pseudonym and address included on an informational note inside all the fruitcakes that may end up at places with the stereotypical/cartoon-ish response (inedibility) to fruitcakes, as a designated safe haven to ship them to where they will be appreciated. I like them quite well, though what I usually bake is a stollen.

Reply to
Ecnerwal

We have a fairly large extended family and she has been baking those fruit cakes for over fifty years now. She has four siblings that live on the East Coast and they seem to like fruit cakes. I'm okay with them but one small piece of cake a year is all I want. Might be the diabetes thing and those cakes are loaded with sugars of one sort or another.

Yesterday we celebrated Thanksgiving at our daughter's home with most of our grands and great grands being there. Mostly finger food, all cooked by our daughter and lots of good will and laughter. Her kids are all in their mid-thirties but the greats range from age sixteen to four years old, a good, loud, time and a time of remembrance back to when we had our parents for holidays.

I had never bet on a long life as most of the men in my family died in their late sixties early seventies but I do enjoy my children and really enjoy the great grands. Life goes on in our children.

George, up early to dose the dawg again

Reply to
George Shirley

i like a good grilled cheese sandwich once in a while. with ham and mustard is an extra treat once or twice a year. homemade bread.

this is my favorite fruitcake:

at that price it's a rare treat, but worth it. :)

i thought about joining them at one time, spent many days with them. nice place, it has changed so much from when i was there.

songbird

Reply to
songbird