No tomatoes

Page 2 of 2
On Tue, 05 Jul 2005 22:14:19 GMT, John Savage

I, um, didn't use any fertilizer. :o( Every year I rototill (OK, I don't, but my gentleman friend does - the damn thing would fling me to the ground) several bags of commercial top soil into the bed. When I first started this gardening stuff (4 years ago) I put in some sand and gypsum (really heavy clay soil).

I'll look into that. I probably ought to start a new thread on this next question and I'm sure it's been gone over time and again in this NG, but I'm new here so haven't seen it. Why do my tomatoes *always* split on top? Heat? Too much or too little water? Sue
Otherwise known as catfacing, uneven water, too little then too much.
John!
Sue wrote:

On Tue, 05 Jul 2005 21:13:42 -0400, GA Pinhead
Thanks. Sue

You might also try slapping them. Don't hit them hard enough to break the plants, but enough to get their attention. That tip was in a "Growing Tomatoes" hand book. We have tried it and it worked.
It will also depend on whether the seeds used to product your plants were determinate or indeterminate. Indeterminate will bloom and put on tomatoes all year, the rest put them on once and then quit.
Dwayne

Tomatoes...It been very hot in texas this year. I had a great crop of tomatoes this year. This is something you might try, when the vine is starting to brown take your hole and make a trench long enough to lay the tomatoe vine down into it and cover it up with top soil, but leaving about 6 to 8 inches of the top sticking up and stake it. A new crop will start up again.....I had great luck with this. Something else that i came up with that works great.. I when down to wal-mart and brought one of those paper shreeder. You know all that junk mail you get and newspapers, i shreed it up and when i have enough i put it into a large bucket and add a very little fertilizer to it and let it set for about a week. Then i sprayed it into my garden and it works great...... Nick Apotolakis"