No sun for growing veg

We have a small garden and have recently built raised beds in every available space for the purpose of growing our own vegetables. Unfortunatly 75% of the beds never see the sun due to surrounding buildings. What type of veg can we grow that does not need direct sun light?
--
ronthomas

ronthomas;832650 Wrote: > We have a small garden and have recently built raised beds in every > available space for the purpose of growing our own vegetables. > Unfortunatly 75% of the beds never see the sun due to surrounding > buildings. What type of veg can we grow that does not need direct sun > light? Have you tried painting walls a lightish colour? This does help.
--
Peoknee

On Sat, 7 Mar 2009 15:31:43 +0000, ronthomas

google "vegetable partial sun" brings up quite a bit, including the following:
http://organicgardening.about.com/od/vegetablesherbs/a/shadeveggies.htm http://idigmygarden.com/forums/showthread.php?t 847 http://idigmygarden.com/forums/showthread.php?t 847
Also think about trellising. Going "up" may increase sun exposure. Container gardening may be a possiblity as well...move about as needed. Containers on walls or fences. Experiment.
Charlie

the plants tod reflect what light is available upward.
JonquilJan
Learn something new every day As long as you are learning, you are living When you stop learning, you start dying
On Sat, 7 Mar 2009 15:31:43 +0000, ronthomas

If the space really nevers gets direct sun, then any kind of harvest is going to be a problem. The plants need sun directly on the leaves to provide the energy to grow the veg. In my small garden, it's amazing the difference between those spots that get sun most of the day and those that are shaded.
- Mark
The garden books say that vegetables need 6 hours of DIRECT sun a day. You can grow some with as little as 3 hours of DIRECT sun per day but you would have to research that. If I don't have at least 3 to 4 hours of direct sun per day, I don't even both planting the seeds. I will be disappointed by spindley little plants that never produce anything. My recommendation is to search out a spot that does get direct sun or go to the roofs or decks of the high buildings and plant in pots. Sorry - Jim in So. California

Lettuces would be good candidates. g