No red Jalapeños...?

Howdy,
I grew some Jalapeños, and they did well: shiny green, plump, well formed, with a great taste.
Today, I noticed one that I had missed: Bright red, shiny, and plump.
I tasted it, and it was great. It had a sweet initial taste followed by the familiar heat.
And so this question:
Why do I never see red Jalapeños in stores?
Thanks for any comments,
--
Kenneth

✖
On Sat, 17 Sep 2005 19:15:26 -0400, Kenneth

1. It takes longer to get a pepper to market if you wait until it's ripe.
2. Ripe peppers won't hold as long as the green ones.
3. Consumers have been duped into believing that green is the correct stage to eat a pepper, just as they buy those tasteless orangey-red things they call tomatoes, or consider thin, watery beer good.
There are a few peppers that are best harvested green, but the vast majority are so much more flavorful ripe.
Penelope
✖
Lunardi's frequently carries the red ones, same price.
kenk

Add pictures here
✖

That's a good question. :-) I prefer them red also.
If I do get green ones from the store and let them ripen for a few days at room temp, they will also turn red.
My pet cockatoo prefers them ripe as well! She loves jalapenos...
When I grow peppers, I never pick them green.
Cheers!
--
Om.

✖