new user

Hi
I am new to your forum so all you experts get ready to answer my seemingly silly questions, is there any pot leek growers out there ? -- Murf ------------------------------------------------------------------------ posted via www.GardenBanter.co.uk
Hi All, yes I grow pot leeks.
Richard M. Watkin.

Hi Richard Do u enter them in leek show ?
Hi Murf, no I just grow them to eat, once you have grown pot leeks you will not grow anything else. do you intend to show them ?. if so you will have to start them off very early in the year in a green house. in fact most people who grow leeks for show grow them in green houses for their entire life, to have total control over the conditions that they are grown under. hope this helps you. if you need any more infomation, and I can help you I will.
Richard M. Watkin.

Hi Pat, pot leeks are a type of leek that was bred for showing, rather like show dogs and cats, a super leek I suppose. when they are put on show they have to be a certain size, and the white part has to be so large and so on. prizes are awarded to the best leek. hope this helps you.
Richard M. Watkin.
wrote:

grow
have
helps
On Sat, 12 Jul 2003 18:06:25 +0100, "rmw"

Ah. I see. Thanks.
We actually do have judgings of home-grown vegetables and fruits at fairs here (USA): many of our counties (especially in rural areas) have an annual fair. People are awarded blue, red, etc. ribbons as prizes. I don't know if there's any money awarded.
But leeks are not nearly as popular here as they are in the UK. I don't *think* that gardening - in general - is as popular here as in the UK.
Our climate might have something to do with that, it's much more difficult to garden in many areas of the USA (I think) than it is in the UK. We have extremes of both heat and cold (often in the same place!) that are unknown to the UK.
Pat

yes, there is a big differance.. a "pot leek" is when there is a small, but noticable hole in the baggie you keep our marajuana in. the dried leaves slowly fall out of the hole, and you have a pot leek. the size of the hole determins the size of the leek.
:)
Central IL small garden, but do my best!
email: daveallyn at bwsys dot net please respond in this NG so others can share your wisdom as well!
Hi Richard
I set my leeks away boxing day, leek growing can be confusing, if you cut away all the seeds from the flowering head you get grasses and pips, pips are small bulbils already growing a shoot from the top, plant them and you get a leek true to strain, plant a seed and anything can grow.
Grow in greenhouse to about end of May then plant out into raised beds, show is about 2nd week in September, prize for first in good show can be several thousand .
Hi Murf, I did try planting the small bulbils one year, it was a few years back now and I only did it once, but I found the problem was that the leeks went to seed very quick, before they were even fully grown. what I do now is save seed for two years, and buy new seed every third year. I have some seed heads foming now so I may try the bulbil method again. how do you stop them running to seed ?.
Richard M. Watkin.

Hi Richard
Keep them on the head as long as possible, keep head indoors to avoid frost - long stem, then put bulbils in john innes no fertilizer, in pots keep them barely growing until march slowley give them heat,April onwards,bigger pot when roots appear at bottom of pot, plant out late may.( Should be in 8" pot by then, about 2" dia)
I heat is given too early or they freeze they will go to seed in that year.
Hi Murf, thank you for that infomation I will print it out and follow it out next year. will let you know how I get on. thanks again,
Richard M. Watkin. .