New Tomato

Last year at Whole Foods in Portland, OR I saw an attractive tomato that was selling for $3.99/lb. It was orange and red striped and looked to be a pound or so. I had no idea what variety it was.
Having received my new Tomato Growers Supply catalog, I looked at the page of new items and there was the tomato or at least something very close. It's called Copia and is named after some food and wine thing in Napa. I think I'll give it a try.
P.S. My brother in Honolulu saw Green Zebras going for $9.30/lb!!
Bill Moats Pau Hana Farm Milton-Freewater, Oregon

I'll have to look for that one. It's fun to try new varities each year. One bi-colored favorite for us is Pineapple. You can see lots of bi-colored varities at http://www.tomatofest.com/tomato_seeds_search.html
Go to the "search the tomato varities we have for sale" section and pull down the menu to the bi-colored option, they have over 30 with pretty good pictures.
Do you think anyone actually will pay $9.30/lb for tomatoes? Wow!
marcella
Marcella Tracy Peek wrote:

do they taste that much better than the run-of-the-mill red ones or is the appearance? i like the japanese tomatoes they sell at the farmers' market in town. they are very sweet and have a low acid content. i wonder what the lowest acid content would be...