New to gardening please help

First time poster,
I would like to introduce myself, I am Tino and I will be setting up raised beds, or I can do deep tilling, open to suggestions.
What is best bagged topsoil or a mix of the current soil and nutrients, I assume it depends on what fruits/veggies I will be growing
The garden will be in a suburb of Houston, TX
What would be good edibles to grow here?
I would like to grow avocados as well, even if I had to bring the plants in several times a year due to the cold.
Please be gentle as I am a newbie, but very eager to learn
Thanks in advance Tino

To really get off on a good footing, see http://davesgarden.com/index.php Best garden site on the web in my opinion.
Regards, Bill

http://www.efn.org/~bsharvy/edible.html