New to gardening

Page 2 of 2

How does this affect the earthworm?
- Bill
Cloribus gustibus non disputatum (mostly)

Hope there's more than one. Why is there just one in your scenario?
If you mean earthworms, same as the helpful bacteria and other small stuff. Some are injured, some die, most get better access to the nutrients they feed on.
If you want to something of concern that directly affects plants, how about the bee population decreasing.
Dave

I had the bee scare last year when they were late showing up to pollinate the zuchs. Baby zuchs just withered away. Eventually, the bees arrived and, life was good once more. At the time, I thought the flower lady across the street had been splashing Sevin around. Later found it was a more wide spread affair. This year I'm putting out bee balm and other bee attractants, to encourage their patronage but, from what I read, it doesn't sound hopeful, "Fall Dwindle Disease" to "Colony Collapse"?
Numerero-uno, we need to look at the messenger. Remember that "news papers" aren't about informing, they are about making money and, "if it bleeds, it leads". If you don't sell papers, advertisers won't advertise and, the paper won't make a profit. Corporate ownership adds another wrinkle (I'll save that rant for another time.). Anyway, sensationalism sells.
Numero-two-o, somethin' is happen here but, what it is, isn't exactly clear. Bees that don't fly away, but stay with the hive, seem to have multiple diseases, kinda like "AIDS" for bees. No, I don't want to know what they're doing in there but what ever it is, it isn't pretty. Apparently, even honey-bee predators won't go into the unguarded hives.
Numero-three-o, Maybe over this growing season, we could report to the group on the appearance or disappearance of honey-bees in our own gardens in order to try to make some sense out of this.
Like Freedom, a good garden requires constant vigilance.
I hate ending on such a bummer, so Ill leave you with the following thought to contemplate.
"Dogs believe they are human. Cats believe they are God."
- Bill Cloribus gustibus non disputatum (mostly)
Hud wrote:

I can recommend a great little book that despite all the other gardening books I've bought over the years, I find myself going back to this little treasure for information year after year. It's called Vegetable Favorites by the late Lois Hole.
If the link is too long, just go to amazon (or any book site) and search the title or author name. It also gives a lot of basics about your garden without getting complicated.
..
Zone 5b in Canada's Far East.

Thanks, Cloud Dreamer! I just bought the book on Ebay. Can't wait to read it.