Need tomato plants *now*

I'm in Miami. That should explain my request. :-) We're just getting ready to plant our veggie gardens here. Do you know of any place that is still shipping tomato plants? I have given up on starting them from seed due to stray cats in back yard -- they think flats are special beds I make up for them, and they like to roll around on sprouting little plants (must be the scent.) If I get plants, and put a stake in next to them, I'll have a chance. The stores here carry the boring varieties, and I want some paste varieties, preferably with good disease resistance. I don't care what they cost mail order, it would be worth it. TIA.

Anya {{{*_*}}}

Marley and the Wailers album "Exodus" named "Album of the Century" by Time magazine

Reply to
Rasta Poodle

I would expect that only plant companies that supply South Florida, South east Texas, and Southern Cal, would have tomato plants available now. Contact the Florida Department of Agriculture for leads. Piedmont plant company is in Albany GA but I don't know that they supply the winter market. They are mailorder but dont't have a web site. Bonnie Plant Farms is a wholesaler that services the southeast and mid atlantic. They have growing locations in Lakeside and Waverly Florida. so plants may be available from local dealers,

Reply to
FarmerDill

As to the cats - I put chicken wire over the flats to discourage the rolling and digging (mine thought the flats to be litter trays). A few toothpicks stuck end up would discourage any die-hard rollers.

Reply to
Seamus Ma' Cleriec

I live in Delray Beach, Florida. I start most of my tomato and vegetable plants from seeds. But this year I got lazy and bought 2 kinds of tomato plants and 1 kind of bell pepper from seedlings I got from my local Home Depot. They have also been carrying tons of herb plants. I just put in 9 tomato plants, 3 pepper plants, dill, basil and garlic chives last week from plants I purchased at the depot. It's a little too early to be planting (still too dang hot and humid) but I put them all in locations that get partial shade. Also, my raised vegetable and herb beds are set up with drip irrigation systems which I turn on if the plants start to wilt before our almost daily rain storms we get this time of year.

Take care,

Reply to
Lynn Smythe

thanks, pat, but I don't have the room indoors to start them, and the stray cats love to roll around on the chicken wire!

Anya {{{*_*}}}

Marley and the Wailers album "Exodus" named "Album of the Century" by Time magazine

Reply to
Rasta Poodle

Local dealers rarely carry anything but 'the usual'. Every mailorder place I contacted doesn't sell to the winter market. The DPI is useless, believe me. Back to the search. Thanks for your suggestions.

Anya {{{*_*}}}

Marley and the Wailers album "Exodus" named "Album of the Century" by Time magazine

Reply to
Rasta Poodle

I have the only strays in the world who seem to love rolling and laying on chicken wire! Toothpicks? Ha. They'd laugh at them. The roll around in the garden and knock over the plant markers. I did get some zinnias to sprout in the garden, despite them, and guess I'll now try tomatoes. They seem to like the smell of tomato leaves, though, and that has doomed the plants in the past.

Our HD *just* got tomato plants last weekend. Big woo. One variety, Sunmaster. I did get three. They only have single pots @ 1.19 each. What happened to the pony packs they used to carry, six in a pack for 1.29 or so? I refused to pay 1.19 for a single cabbage plant. They seem to have discontinued veggie pony packs. Bummer.

Marley and the Wailers album "Exodus" named "Album of the Century" by Time magazine

Reply to
Rasta Poodle

Home Depot NOW!!!

Reply to