Need Pepper suggestions for this year

have a lot of options. For example, SSE members have access to 844 varieties of peppers, ranging for apple sweet to thinking you are going to die hot. I suggest going thru the lists on these two sites, as much for information as purchasing. (Both are reputable seedsmen). Keep in mind that growing conditions can affect heat.

Seedsavers gives you a heat scale from 0 (sweet) to 5(hot).

I love Golden Marconi and Jimmy Nardello, both of them are prolific and sweet. Poblanos, green, are a chili that is not very hot, just a touch of heat and good flavor. They are also called ancho when red and dried.

Some paprika peppers are mildly warm, most are very sweet and thick walled. Pimiento peppers are thick walled and very sweet when red ripe.

I only plant heirlooms and haven't had experience with hybrids for many years. The advantage of heirlooms is that you can save seed from ripe fruit for next years crop.

If you are buying from the local walmart or mom and pop, sometimes banana peppers are tiny hot and usually rather prolific.

Care Charlie

Reply to
Charlie

I grew up in a family that doesn't like much of anything spicy, so as you might imagine, we didn't grow many peppers. I remember growing sweet bell peppers once.

Over the past few years, though, I have developed a taste for some really, really mild jalapeno peppers at the store. Most of the varieties I've tried that say mild are still way too hot for me, and I know to stay far away from anything that says medium.

Anyway, I'm interested in growing 1 sweet, and 1 very mild pepper variety this year. I'm hoping to find something that is known to be prolific, because the few times I've tried growing peppers, I rarely get more than half a dozen peppers per plant.

I'm looking for something that has smaller peppers, but many of them. I'd like something sweet to add to salads, and something with a very, VERY tiny bit of mild spice to use with cheese, nachos, as pizza toppings, etc. (maybe even pickling)

Can anyone make some suggestions? Thanks!

Reply to
OhioGuy

Having grown up with jalapenos, I've found Anaheim peppers less "hot". You might try those.

Reply to
Dioclese

I grow 3 or 4 different Jalapeños some are hot and some have no heat. When we make salsa I control the heat with Serrano's. Jalapeños are in my IMHO the best pepper and I grow about 20 different kinds. I like the yellow banana's also I cut them open fill them with onions sauté them in butter put a little lime on them man that's good with a beer on a Sunday afternoon.

Reply to
aluckyguess