Need help identifying herbs

Last year everything was late. It was my first year growing mostly from seed and the rain kept me out of the garden until May. I thought that these herbs had died but they came back this year. I don't recognize them so I don't think they are weeds. I posted them in alt.binaries.pictures.gardens. I had to do the last of the 3 posts over. It didn't up-load.

I'd appreciate any help and I apologize for the quality of the snaps. It was a rush job as usual. If they don't get identified, I'll do better next time.

- Bill

Reply to
Bill Rose

Some of us don't have access to binary newsgroups. It would be better to post pictures at a site like

It's free, by the way.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Bill, 1a looks like a pepper plant.

Reply to
betsyb

Are all the photos of the same plant, Bill?

The first one, shot from the top, looks like echinacea.

Hmmm Charlie

Reply to
Charlie

OK, so I'm not a photographer. The fuzzy pictures were taken with a polaroid that obviously has no macro capability. The second was taken by a neighbor who was pressed into service. Each set is of a different plant 1a&b, 2a&b and, then I got tricky, 3&4 a&b are of two plants, side by side. Scores will be awarded on the basis of correctness or creativity. Good luck,

- Bill Coloribus gustibus non disputatum

Reply to
William Rose

I'm staying with echinacea on #1. Are the leaves and the stem "sandpapery"? And the stem tough? If it is echinacea, you should see some buds before long.

Others have to get the others.

I like this game, kinda like the National Geographic guess the macro shot.

Chumily Charlie

Reply to
Charlie

Charlie wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

What shape is the stem? Round or square?

Reply to
FragileWarrior

Charlie expounded:

Yea, I'd say the first one was echinacea. The rest????

Reply to
Ann

Or tinypic. That one is easier to access.

Reply to
Omelet

I ain't trying to be prickly here, Joe....but when it comes to this here internet thing, and *most* things anymore, they ain't no such thing as free.

I'd be willin' to bet Photobucket doesn't particularly love ya', whadda they get out of it?

They get something for you using their bandwith.

Hell, mebbe it's just me, but my Trust-O-Meter never registers very high on these here Interweb things.

Ya' all Be Careful Out Here Charlie

Reply to
Charlie

I'm tempted to say that it is echinacea except that the pictures I've seen of echinacea don't show the leaves to be exactly opposit of each other, which is the case with my plant.

that's what it looks like except as I say that the leaves on my plant are exactly opposite each other the next pair, up or down, are at right angles to the first pair of leaves.

So, unless there is something else that looks like echinacea, then that is what it must be. Funny, the one planted in the ground never came back from last year.

Oh yeah Charlie, it has a roud, not square, stem.

Bill Rose

I give up. I posted to tynypic with the tag "Bill's unknown herb . ." and now I can't find them. Damn learning curves.

- Bill

Bill Rose

Hmmmm.......I'd go out with a torch and look about stem placement except.........THE DAMN DOG KEEPS EATING IT OFF!!!!!!! At least she doesn't dig for the good part. Tell ya what, a Dane can move a bunch of soil in a hurry!

The two collies we used to have, they did the same thing.

They knwo what's good for them too.

Guess you are going to have to wait for the bloom. Or wait for someone who really knows what they are about.

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie

3a looks like a mint on the left and maybe lavender or tarragon on the right.

Brush your fingers on the leaves and see what those plants smell like.

Mints normally (always?) have square stems.

Jan

Reply to
Jan Flora

Let me put it this way: I put pictures there. The credit card never leaves my wallet. I've never noticed if there's advertising, or whether they offer other services which some people purchase. I get no junk email from them. Sounds free to me.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Oh, Charlie, I don't know if I can wait that long. Think I'll take another run at this in a few days after I get some film developed. You remember what film is? Won't get much done today. My Lovey-poo is taking me to see "Paris,je t'aime". I'm hoping for some good views of the worlds #1 tourist destination. We'll start in the park across the street from the cinema with a store bought burned rotisserie chicken, baguette and, a bottle of Medoc. I'll put the garden on auto-pilot.

I'm gonna' have to re-read the last few missives from Jan. I've been running around too much. Looked kinda exotic.

plus tard,

Bill Rose

Yeah, your right Jan, it does look like a mint (square stem and all) but it doesn't have a mint smell and it's not "self-heal". Another feature of it is that the first couple of inches at the base of the stem is cherry red, as are a few of the lower leaves. As for the other plant, I have tarragon growing in the garden already and the two look identical EXCEPT the unknown has a light grassy flavor (?) and the tarragon tastes like tarragon. Secondly, the unknown has opposing leaves which rotate at right angles up and down the stem, whereas the tarragon has a single leaf that rotates at 170 degrees (or 190 degrees, depending on how you look at it), up and down the stem. It is unlikely, but possible, that some of these herbs are culinary but most likely they are medicinal.

Herb 2 also kinda looks like tarragon except for the varying hues of red on some of it's leaves.

Meanwhile, my grasses are in. One of the Plantago ovata suffered some grazing damage (the culpable is unknown) and the omega flax is sprouting. Horizon Herbs never did give me any reason why they thought that this flax was higher in omega-3s than common flax. The bitter melons are laid out in front of their trellis along with a Gynostemma pentaphyllum (Jiaogulan). The peas are just petering along. They should love the heat (or lack of same). They get daily waterings. They have been in the ground for about a month. Some are 6" high, and others are doing better at about 3'. Planted a bird-house gourd vine at the end of the peas. I figure they (the peas) probably only have another six weeks to go before it gets too hot for them. The cucumbers are just staring at me and, just sit there. Zukes are in but they haven't shown much development yet either. Tomatoes are all in, except for a few more that I want to find space for. The tomatoes and corn have been the most responsive plants in the garden, which I find surprising, considering the temps. It didn't break 70 F yesterday. We have been having morning fog and high clouds, comfortable afternoons and, cool evening (by local standards).

The bees are here. Saw at least a dozen yesterday. They are all over the violets. We have humming birds that feed on our Chinese lanterns. Now if I could just think of a way to get rid of the blue jays and encourage a mocking bird to move in. Any kind of song bird would be nice.

Keep your fingers dirty.

- Bill Coloribus gustibus non disputatum

Reply to
Bill Rose

Bill Rose wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@cor8-ppp5025.per.dsl.connect.net.au:

Did you plant bee-balm? It has a sq. stem IIRC and it won't have a mint smell.

Reply to
FragileWarrior

Sounds like a absolutely delightful afternoon ahead. Tell Lovey-poo that Charlie wishes her a fine day as well.

Film? Listen, old trout, for the price of film and developement and running to the gettin' place and all that, you could take the next step. Pretty small learning curve involved. ;-)

Dovete fare ritardare la vostra fretta

Mas tarde

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie

On Thu, 31 May 2007 18:50:43 +0000 (UTC), FragileWarrior

You are right, stem is square, I just went outside and looked. But the leaves have a light scent reminiscent of catnip? The leaf stems are opposite each other.

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie