Need help identifying herbs

Page 1 of 2
Last year everything was late. It was my first year growing mostly from seed and the rain kept me out of the garden until May. I thought that these herbs had died but they came back this year. I don't recognize them so I don't think they are weeds. I posted them in alt.binaries.pictures.gardens. I had to do the last of the 3 posts over. It didn't up-load.
I'd appreciate any help and I apologize for the quality of the snaps. It was a rush job as usual. If they don't get identified, I'll do better next time.
- Bill

Some of us don't have access to binary newsgroups. It would be better to post pictures at a site like www.photobucket.com. It's free, by the way.
Bill, 1a looks like a pepper plant.
--

BetsyB

"JoeSpareBedroom" < snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Or tinypic. That one is easier to access.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

I give up. I posted to tynypic with the tag "Bill's unknown herb . ." and now I can't find them. Damn learning curves. - Bill
On Wed, 30 May 2007 21:58:45 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"

I ain't trying to be prickly here, Joe....but when it comes to this here internet thing, and *most* things anymore, they ain't no such thing as free.
I'd be willin' to bet Photobucket doesn't particularly love ya', whadda they get out of it?
They get something for you using their bandwith.
Hell, mebbe it's just me, but my Trust-O-Meter never registers very high on these here Interweb things.
Ya' all Be Careful Out Here Charlie
<Charlie> wrote in message >>> Last year everything was late. It was my first year growing mostly from

Let me put it this way: I put pictures there. The credit card never leaves my wallet. I've never noticed if there's advertising, or whether they offer other services which some people purchase. I get no junk email from them. Sounds free to me.

Are all the photos of the same plant, Bill?
The first one, shot from the top, looks like echinacea.
Hmmm Charlie

OK, so I'm not a photographer. The fuzzy pictures were taken with a polaroid that obviously has no macro capability. The second was taken by a neighbor who was pressed into service. Each set is of a different plant 1a&b, 2a&b and, then I got tricky, 3&4 a&b are of two plants, side by side. Scores will be awarded on the basis of correctness or creativity. Good luck, - Bill Coloribus gustibus non disputatum

I'm staying with echinacea on #1. Are the leaves and the stem "sandpapery"? And the stem tough? If it is echinacea, you should see some buds before long.
Others have to get the others.
I like this game, kinda like the National Geographic guess the macro shot.
Chumily Charlie
Charlie wrote in

What shape is the stem? Round or square?

I'm tempted to say that it is echinacea except that the pictures I've seen of echinacea don't show the leaves to be exactly opposit of each other, which is the case with my plant. http://www.henriettesherbal.com/pictures/p05/pages/echinacea-purpurea-9.h tm Otherwise, that's what it looks like except as I say that the leaves on my plant are exactly opposite each other the next pair, up or down, are at right angles to the first pair of leaves.
So, unless there is something else that looks like echinacea, then that is what it must be. Funny, the one planted in the ground never came back from last year.
Oh yeah Charlie, it has a roud, not square, stem.

Hmmmm.......I'd go out with a torch and look about stem placement except.........THE DAMN DOG KEEPS EATING IT OFF!!!!!!! At least she doesn't dig for the good part. Tell ya what, a Dane can move a bunch of soil in a hurry!
The two collies we used to have, they did the same thing.
They knwo what's good for them too.
Guess you are going to have to wait for the bloom. Or wait for someone who really knows what they are about.
Charlie

Oh, Charlie, I don't know if I can wait that long. Think I'll take another run at this in a few days after I get some film developed. You remember what film is? Won't get much done today. My Lovey-poo is taking me to see "Paris,je t'aime". I'm hoping for some good views of the worlds #1 tourist destination. We'll start in the park across the street from the cinema with a store bought burned rotisserie chicken, baguette and, a bottle of Medoc. I'll put the garden on auto-pilot.
I'm gonna' have to re-read the last few missives from Jan. I've been running around too much. Looked kinda exotic.
plus tard, - Bill Coloribus gustibus non disputatum (mostly)

Sounds like a absolutely delightful afternoon ahead. Tell Lovey-poo that Charlie wishes her a fine day as well.
Film? Listen, old trout, for the price of film and developement and running to the gettin' place and all that, you could take the next step. Pretty small learning curve involved. ;-)

Dovete fare ritardare la vostra fretta

Mas tarde

Charlie

Konichiwa Charlie, but spend money Charlie? Are you mad? Have your tires come off their rims? It will probably happen when Lovey-poo gets me back in harness. Had lunch under a tree and watched the Canadian geese and, duck swim around in the lake. The menu was as previously stated. Got to the cinema early. Had some coffee and a short nap. "Paris, je t'aime" is a crazy quilt of short stories, some sad, some funny, some weird. I strongly recommend it. Personally, I was bordering on the verge of melancholy. Travel is an expensive addiction.
Got me some marigolds for the buddha on the front walk.
Gonna have to get to fixin' the garage soon though before the whole damn thing come crashing down.
Gotta run. Time for digestives. Alla vostra salute.
- Bill Coloribus gustibus non disputatum

Yes, I know what you mean....... but I possess "The Golden Card of Grandchild"! ("Yes dear, but it is *really* necessary for the grandchildren")
Bwwaaaaahhaaaaahhaaaa.......oops! Sorry!
It sounds as if you had a lovely day, given digestives are necessary!
Marigolds! Love 'em and so useful. This year I added a couple new varieties, one African and the other a double-pinwheel. They are a very tall variety, which I had not noticed before. The Africans are supposed to be around four feet tall and the doubles as well. They are already about a foot high and growing like crazy. I'll put up some pics when they are in their glory.
We always plant lots of the petite varieties in every little space in the garden and tuck them in pots when possible.
Give Buddha a belly-rub and Lovey-poo a kiss.
"cento di questi giorni!" Charlie

Well I did go out and look at my echinacea, and I am sure that this will help a lot>>>>>>>> Mine has BOTH opposite and alternate leaves. So another characterisic 'might' be needed.
One nitpicking fact, there are no Blue Jays in Calif. They will be either Steller's or Scrub Jays. You really don't want to get rid of them; they are masters at locating tomato worms and eating/feeding them to young. They also warn other birds of the presence of cats. Besides they are big clowns and are great fun to watch.
(I cannot get alt. bin. etc so that's as much help as I can give.) Emilie NorCal

Friends of ours had a tree where a mockingbird nested for 3 years in a row. I could have listen to that bird all night. The drive to their hour took us by fields with a small brook, where deer would be grazing in the long shadows. That and the food that our friends made, made every other Sat. an event that I awaited with great anticipation. Mockingbird left, friends left, deer left but I still do the Sat. night barbeque. I'd love to listen to a mockingbird again.

hour

In what part of the country do you have mockingbirds? Do you plant stuff that will encourage them come 'round?
I saw my first hummingbird yesterday -- a nice Ruby Throat male. I was so thrilled I could have kissed his pointy little beak. I know in groups they are really not a nice bird but I love their little humming souls.