Need fertilizing help

This year I will be growing tomatoes in large pots and I plan on using potting soil for this. Should I add a fertilizer to the soil when I plant them? If so, which of these is best: humus & manure, bone meal, lime? These are the only fertlizers that are available around here (other than Miracle Gro) so please don't suggest something not listed as I won't be able to get it.
Last year I had a problem with BER near the end of the season. I also wasn't able to get as many tomatoes as I should've and it took forever. I know the weather was partly responsible (tons of rain in June; HOT, dry weather in July and August) and I was never able to figure out when the plants needed water. I also think the fertilizer I was using (Miracle Gro) had to much nitrogen.

If you have a Lesco in your area, they sell organic granulated turkey litter under the brand name of Sustane. It is widely used in golf courses and its use has been great in my raised gardens. www.raised-garden-bed.com/ Johnny

Your response makes sense. A tomato plant is an acid fruit producer. It needs something with an acid base to it. Fowl manure is exactly that. Dave
Use a low nitrogen till you start getting small tomatoes then put in some high nitrogen. Now what kind of tomatoes are you planting. Patio tomatoes are determinant which means they will set the fruit and quit. I would pant First Lady II or Champion or Sunsugar. Water when you see the leaves start to drop a little. Don't put fertilizer on the leaves and water the roots not the leaves.
From Mel & Donnie in Bluebird Valley
snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Mel M Kelly) wrote:

If we are talking fertilizer (n-p-k) here boy, let me be the first of many to say that, this advice is backwards. Nitrogen encourages vegetative growth, i.e. leaves and stalks. Favor the nitrogen now while the vine is growing. When your vine reaches a productive size, cut back the nitrogen and load up on the phosphorous, and potassium to encourage flowering and fruit set. If you don't want fruit, do it the way you were originally told.
Bonne chance.
- Bill
That will work great if you want a tomato tree with very little frut.
From Mel & Donnie in Bluebird Valley