need a trimmer on a pole

I know this is off topic but can't find a landscape NG.

Maybe you can direct me.

I have a tall arborvitae hedge (12 feet tall) that I trim using a ladder. I'd like to buy a trimmer on a pole and use that instead. I wonder if a prunner would work. What I see on the internet looks like a small chain saw at the end of a pole. I'd rather get one like that rather than a trimmer that shears because sometime a thick branch bends out of place a needs cutting.

But I wonder if a chain saw with small teeth can cut the soft growth or will it just mash it?

Any advice?

Reply to
AAaron123

The chaim saw on a pole pruners work well for removing tree limbs, for pruning a hedge I prefer the manual pruners that will handle brances up to an inch and half in diameter, Lighter and much easier to manage.

farmerdill

Perhaps one of these would work.

Pat

"AAaron123" wrote

A chainsaw is not the answer. It will not cut small soft growth.

Here's an idea similar to Pat's, except that the motor can be used with a number of different attachments. The Troy Bilt products can be examined at most any Lowes home improvement store. The middle of the page displays the trimmer.

You could probably buy the extension pole you see, (in the next product down), through their parts dept. MTD owns Troy Bilt and they have extensive online parts cataloging & sales.

I also have the cultivator, which is the first item on the page. It's the very best small powered hand tiller out there IMHO. If you page back to page 1 you'll see the motor / string trimmer units. If you get serious about this option, I would recommend the TB70SS motor unit with the straight shaft trimmer. Much less tiresome to use. By using this interchangeable attachment method, you only need to keep one motor running for several tools. Much easier to assure fresh gas in the tank.

Steve Young

Reply to
Steve Young

Andy comments:

A chain saw won't do your job.

If a hedge trimmer on a ladder will work now, a hedge trimmer on a pole will work.

I suggest you buy a hedge trimmer, a roll of duct tape, and a

20 ft fence rail. Judicious use of a hack saw , a couple bolts, and the duct tape should give you what you need, and when you are thru, you can restore it to what it was..... Buying a hedge trimmer on a pole to use once or twice a year doesn't seem very cost effective to me...

Personally, I have trouble cutting arbor vitae even with a hedge trimmer and usually used a ladder and a pair of snippers. Perhaps you have a better trimmer.

... but, good luck to you on it. If you come up with a good solution, please post it back here.... Inquiring minds want to know...... :>)))

Andy in Eureka, Texas

PS Arbor vitae are very susceptable to bag worms. They can destroy a large tree in two or three days beyond recovery. Be advised....... Been there, done that......

Reply to
AndyS

Thanks for the help from all of you

Reply to
AAaron123

If you have limited use for it, you might consider renting one.

Reply to
Glenna Rose