National Pickling Cucumber

I have a tiny garden ... but a LOT of these cucumbers coming on the vine.
I am looking for a recipe that closely copies the Vlassic Dill Relish product. This is the form most likely to get eaten in our household (goes on hot dogs & in tuna salads) so I want to make up as much of it as I can stand this year.
It's that time of year, folks. Last year's search for this recipe came up empty handed. So I am trying again this year.
Also ... how do they get the cukes chopped so small? Is there a home / restaurant grade machine that will do this?
Bill
--
Zone 5b (Detroit, MI)

Thats because you need to get with the lingo;-)) They are known properly here as National Pickling Gherkin.. Gherkin is also the term used in germany and other continental Eur countries. You need to search for Gherkin. You will find lots of recipes.

< 'pickled cucumbers' or 'pickles' is merely the US term for them;-)
Pickles in the UK includes a wide variety of vinegar based vegetable preserves including picallili. As opposed to Chutney's which are generally sweeter.
Picklenet may be of use to you-) http://www.picklenet.com/sections/cats/recipes/nice/dill.htm
Jim W wrote:

I just went by what the seed packet said ... and it said 'cucumber'.
--
Zone 5b (Detroit, MI)
Jim W wrote:
I offer this: Q: What is a midget? A gherkin? A: When we refer to the terms midget and gherkin, we are referring to small cucumbers that come from the same plant that produces larger cucumbers, cucumis sativus. These midgets and gherkins are picked before they have a chance to grow up to be big ones. However, there is a different species of cucumber called a gherkin, cucumis anguria. These cucumbers are known as West Indian or Burr gherkins, and they produce small, exceptionally spiny fruit that is used for pickling. Mt. Olive, however, does not pickle this type of gherkin.
from http://www.mtolivepickles.com/AskMrCrisp/FAQ.html
Oh ... and thanks for the links. I'm following them now.
Bill
--
Zone 5b (Detroit, MI)

Dangerous to confuse common names with botanical.. FOr instance a bluebell in England is not a Bluebell is scotland.. Same name, different Genus species..
Differnt country, differnt word.. IN the UK we say gherkin,.. in Germany as well I believe.. A lot of other countries use 'gherkin'.. Some use 'pickle' As a lot of these recipes originate there I believe that is what they are known as over here.. In the UK a lot are imported from Poland.
AS you will see if you enter gherkin there are plenty of references to 'pickled cucumbers' as you know then;-)
Strange, this language called English;-) Enjoy your gherkins. Some cultivars are 'bred' to be small and short.. National Pickling is one such.. You will find if you let one mature it will not reach the normal length of a cuc.-) Will look more like a cucumber bombshell than a gherkin, eg short and fat;-)
// Jim
snipped-for-privacy@pmug.org says...
<snip>

If none are available at Good Will, etc.; new ones can be had for about $50 USD < hand crank > or $100 USD < electric >. Picked up a Krups a while ago to grind up food for my ailing dog < megaesophagus > . While I wouldn't want to feed a whole cow through it, it gave good service on chicken and veggies. It even came with a sausage attatchment. Kishka anyone?
        Bill