here is a pic from earlier this summer where i'd planted
peas into a garden where one side was prepared by mixing in
plenty of wood chips and the other side had the same
treatment except i added a few inches of soil on top of
that where there was no added wood chips.
the plants to the left are obviously struggling (about a
month later they caught up).
there were beets planted in this same garden and they
took all summer to get big enough to pick, but they
were quite large when we finally got around to it.
a few volunteer squash were left to grow, they also
took most of the summer to put on one fruit each.
not that i'm surprised by any of this, it was just
something to try and watch what happened. :)
i planted a second round of peas in the middle when
the first round of peas got picked. just to cover it
and keep the weeds from having an easy start. they
did well enough, but i think the chipmunk pretty much
got anything that was large enough to eat in a pod.