my mulch box.

Hi,
I've got a wire mulch box from Johnies. For Christmas. Should I just pile my yard waste in a it. Or wait until Spring. Does throwing dirt in it speed up the process.,
Diesel.
DogDiesel wrote:

I'm not sure what you mean. Why do you need a wire box for mulch? Do you mean compost?
For Christmas. Should I just

This sounds like you want to do composting. If the weather is too cold for the microbes to break down the material it will just sit there until the temperature rises enough. Depending on circumstances this may or may not be a problem. You can help the microbes by making conditions right for them. There are many books and other resources that go into the details of composting. Give some though to where you put the box before you fill it.
Does throwing dirt

In principle you do need to "seed" a compost heap with microbes and/or spores but this usually happens automatically as these are ubiquitous, so in practice unless you want to really optimise your composting for fast processing (and do all the other stuff required for this to happen too) it isn't necessary. You can just do nothing and wait, it will rot eventually.
David

I immediately thought of the wire cage one uses if you want to make Leaf mould

I meant composting.

We add a shovelful of dirt once in a while but having horses, sheep and chickens, we jazz ours up with an occasional helping of fresh manure.