My local Kmart

Has Burpee seeds on sale for 40% off .Yours might too . Sale includes their line of heirloom seeds , I got some Touchon carrots and Brandywine Pink tomatoes . Plus some other stuff not marked as heirloom , but neither are they marked as hybrids .

Reply to
Snag

Where is Local?

Reply to
mjciccarel

Memphis Tn. in this case .

Reply to
Snag

Great, that means there is a better chance for the same in North Carolina

Reply to
mjciccarel

also check out local hardware stores or other stores nowadays. even the dollar stores have seeds sometimes.

i'm picking up most my extra seeds and new varieties at five pkgs for a buck. sure some won't germinate at the rate stated on the package, but usually i bump up the sowing rate and have to thin later anyways.

songbird

Reply to
songbird

I thought it was other parts of the anatomy that tightened up...

I stepped into a nearby K-Mart a few weeks ago, as it was near a place I had an appointment which I had arrived early for. Picked up several heavy-gauge tomato cages for cheap. Noted that the seed racks they had in their garden department were all stocked with 2011 seed. Sure, lots of stuff lasts several years - but really, seed racks sitting in front of the windows, where they get baked, not so much.

I'm fortunate to live just outside of the town where Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds has a storefront (called the "Seed Bank" - it's in an old granite bank building) - while they certainly cost more than the big box stores, every last seed in the place is heirloom. It's really easy to get carried away in there - some 1,300 varieties of seed.

Reply to
Sean Straw

If you don't mind sharing - what sort of bad experience?

From talking with them at the store (including the founder, Jere Gettle), it seems their home base - a large farm operation in MO - is susceptible to power outages during winter storms. One of the attractive reasons for them to have opened the store in Sonoma County is that it provided them with a second place from which to fulfill orders (and to store seed) should conditions prevent them from doing so from MO.

Reply to
Sean Straw

there were some christmas lima beans i was eyeing on a display last fall for almost $4/pkg. i was hoping to pick them up later on but right when i decided to finally ask the hardware store folks if they'd let them go for less they removed the display (it'd been there for months). they still have a basket of seeds from last year for

20cent each. that's my preferred way of picking up "extra" or new things to try besides trading.

in the other thread you mention having to drive

120 miles round trip to buy a supply of crowder peas to plant? why don't you let a few plants dry out and use those seeds instead? it doesn't sound like you are short on space. if you get to the green pod stage you're not far from viable seeds even if you have to take the plants up and hang them to dry. i harvested some pods from most of the beans i grew this season and dried them on trays for a few weeks/months before shelling them. these have sprouted fine later.

songbird

Reply to
songbird

sure does. :) both me and Ma will reuse all sorts of materials around here. she found this dumpster outside a cabinet and countertop installation place that was a goldmine, but this was unfortunately just before the most recent construction bust so they folded up before we could really mine that vein. if it weren't over two hours drive away we'd have emptied it of many goodies.

plus being in a construction trade for a while and having people who know our inclinations we can get calls that someone has a metal drum they don't need or a pile of bricks, rocks or a piece of carpeting or ...

i do not have a truck for a very good reason. on garbage day i'd be out collecting stuff that i can always imagine finding a good use for "someday" (even if i never actually get around to it). it's bad enough when we go for our walks on garbage day.

i have two tables and a small bookshelf here that came from a dumpster and then got fixed up for a few $ worth of refinishing.

yeah, around here a grain elevator does that sort of thing. there is a chain that called the Tractor Supply Company around with things for the farmers, but they also have a lot of crap and clothes too. like you say a lot of places that used to be interesting start trying to broaden their product line to pick up a few more $ of sales, but in the process they lose what makes them unique so they look like any other dollar store but with higher prices. they lose out in the end because they are no longer a destination or come to mind as unique.

oh that's right, you have humidity all the time. we have bouts of it, but not all the time. a good spot to dry pods is on top of the fridge. no added expense needed. let a few go long on each plant and dry those.

i'm not quite sure i'd fit cultist but i do like self-sufficiency and variety. when i have a bare spot of dirt it's nice to have a supply of something on hand to plant.

yes, we do support our favorite local greenhouse too the same way you do, for those plants that i don't really want to set up a growing station inside. my last bout with sprouting and growing lights left me feeling a bit underwhelmed and the greenhouse has always been helpful and has avoided the crap outlet factory approach.

the other thing is that it's a social outlet for me to have things to trade. one way to meet fellow gardeners and chat a bit. i'm not normally an out and about social person, but plants and books are two of the things that will at least give me a chance of seeing how the rest of the world is getting on.

songbird

Reply to
songbird