My Blueberry Bushes

My Blueberrie Bushes are now a year old.

Very healthy plants I got from JParkers last year but so far they hav not given me any fruit.

How long do they take to produce fruits.

I want them to be organic plants

-- Scotkat

Reply to
Scotkat

With new growth? If you have this, you are over the first big set of hurdles (related to soil pH and maybe mycorhiza).

I don't know if I'd expect flowers the first spring (I guess ours, which are small plants, had a few, but we picked them off to let the plant spend its energy on getting established). But next spring I would think so.

Do they get full sun? Although in the wild blueberries are forest understory plants, full sun is recommended in the garden.

Some organic ways of lowering the soil pH or keeping it down are pine bark, pine needles, or oak leaves.

Reply to
Jim Kingdon

Should I still feed through the winter Jim or just water

-- Scotkat

Reply to
Scotkat

I don't do anything in the winter, once the bushes are established they make it through the winter fine. For the first several years that I had blueberries bushes I always had a couple of casualties, in the spring I'd replace the dead ones. Eventually they were all well enough established that they no longer died in the winter. My oldest bushes are now producing a lot of berries, it took about five years before they became really productive.

Reply to
General Schvantzkoph

Where are you located? Arkansas needs super phosphate added to the soil in some cases, to make things blossom (0 - 56 - 0 on the bag). Sometimes it is the pH of the soil that makes them grow or fail (like here in Western Kansas). I would have a soil test done and see if everything is where is should be, and if not, correct it. Blueberries need a pH of 4 to 5.5 for best results..

Dwayne

Reply to
Dwayne