Mulch is Acidic?

Had some excellent squash growing in the compost pile last year and the compost pile was mostly mulch, so this year I planted squash in a small plot I had thickly covered with mulch, but now a good portion of the small squash plants have turned yellow. I'm wondering what I should try to do. Any suggestions?
Thanks
Maybe the growing medium has become too dry or it's been too hot or the plants aren't getting enough nitrogen.

Fresh mulch gets hotter than older mulch, in fact hot enough to kill your new plants. Could that have been the problem?
Dwayne

Dwayne wrote:

That is a good idea. Thanks.