Mulch

Page 2 of 2
simy1 wrote:

I put landscape fabric under my cedar mulch. It's been out there for two years now and show no sign of disappearing any time soon.
..
On Thu, 15 Jun 2006 07:31:28 -0700, simy1 wrote:

I do have a giant pile of leaf mulch next to the garden, I've been piling my leaves there for over 20 years, maybe it's time to use it.

These are generalisations that are just too broad, some manure and some straw has too many seeds. Chicken manure contains no viable seeds. Some straw is almost pure stalks from after the grain was harvested and contains no seeds or almost no seeds. Even cow and horse manure can have no significant viable seeds depending on what the beasts were fed on, the time of year etc. If you want to be able to take advantage of all possble sources of fertiliser and mulch you have to know your shit!
As fresh manure is often too strong to apply directly hot composting with other material (eg manure plus straw plus garden clippings) will reduce its strength and kill seeds if it has any.

Absolutely.
David

Landscaping fabric... topped with pine shavings.
Of all the mulches I've tried, pine shavings (or bags of leaves that can be scavenged from all over town) have worked the best. :-)
--
Peace!
Om

g;day g.s,
my favourite mulches are the green types ie.,. spoilt lucerne hay & pasture grass hay, i use these all the time and never need to fertilise, never weed mygardens and minimal watering, but then i lay it around 8 to 10"s thick.
On Wed, 14 Jun 2006 17:52:40 -0400, General Schvantzkoph snipped With peace and brightest of blessings,
len
http://www.gardenlen.com

good one Len, get the cheap/free stuff an use it thickly. I nabbed a load of free spoiled hay and went back for more but found someone else had flogged it.
rob