Mulberries

This winter (now where I live) I'd like to put in a couple of Black Mulberry trees.

My fruit growing books don't have a lot to say about the soil requireents so I'm looking for some advice from someone who may have a tree or two. Any hints out there please.

Reply to
FarmI

I have several about on my place. They do tend to sucker, and of course the birds do a good job of dispersal. One is growing in a heavy clay area that stays moist a lot of the time (not sopping wet, but damp 3/4 of the time). One is out at the end of the drive growing on a pile of cement rubble mixed with extremely poor soil (it very much reminds me of the calichi "soil" in the deasert SW of USA). It gets rain, but the soil there does not hold it. All are voluteers, and he one in poor soil doing the best. Thankfully they are quite far from the house (>200 M) as they are, of course, quite messy. The birds love them, and once every few years we get around to making some nice jam.

-Rick

Reply to
Rick

Thanks Rick.