Moving Rhubarb

I'd like to give a couple of clumps to my neighbor but have never moved any.
Should it be done in very early spring ?
How much of a root clump has to go to insure survival ?
Thanks
Ma

    That would be ideal.

    If you plant in a good soil with adequate moisture the stuff is very     forgiving. Nurseries dig up a mature plant and saw the crown into     several pieces, each with at least one crown and some root. They ship     that and you look at it and curse them.     With more care you dig deeply and get the long tap roots and then     divide so each piece has a crown and a tap root. With one like that     it is hard to fail. But it is fairly critical to not plant too deeply     (a bit like planting strawberries) or too high and even established     plantings can fail if the summer is too hot and dry. As with most     things a generous amount of organic matter in the soil is of great     benefit.     I was forced to move a crown when I put in a new outbuilding that     required some grading where it grew. That was in October and I was very     busy. I dug the crown and dumped it without soil in a bucket and placed     that in another outbuilding and forgot about it until I noticed in          April that the crown was sprouting. I had assumed it would be dead, but     it looked pretty good so I planted it. It is doing great. This is     Valentine Rhubarb in SW Virginia.

Dig it up, give it away. It takes napalm to kill rhubarb. Don't bother being gentle with it. Give your neighbor a couple of crowns out of a clump, and, if you have any, some cow manure or compost to plant it in.
The best time to move rhubarb is in early spring, just because it hasn't sprouted all the big growth yet.
It's a weed. Just do it. The rhubarb will be fine. If yours is in big clumps and you separate it to give it away, it'll go wild when it gets replanted. It likes to be separated every few years, or the yield drops way off.
If anyone has a good rhubarb wine recipe, email it to me, okay? I've put about 30 pounds of stalks into the freezer so far, for wine.
Jan

You will find a few good rhubarb wine & strawberry-rhubarb wine recipes here.
http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/index.asp