Moving red plum tree

I want to move my 2 year old red plum tree to another house I am building. I live in Illinois. Is it OK, even though the leaves have not yet fallen to heavily prune the tree and ball and burlap it for later planting in the early Spring? I plan on keeping the ball moist. Thanks for your opinions.
Put off digging it as long as possible. The closer it gets to dormancy, the better your chances.
Steve
Joe wrote:

Yes, what Steve said. I would, however, plant it this year and allow the roots to get settled in before next year. You can prepare the hole and fill it with water a couple of times. Then plant the tree and make sure it doesn't get dry over the winter.
Dwayne

building. I