Moving Asparagus

I've never grown asparagus before. Last year, I planted the seeds (Mary Washington), and got lots of asparagus shaped toothpicks.

Sometime after the winter backs off, I need to move them to their new home. But I don't have any details on when, or spacing. Do I just wait until last frost is past? Or a certain height?

Reply to
Drew Lawson

You should move them during their dormant period in winter not after winter when they are growing. You have to be able to identify the crowns while there is no top growth, hopefully you didn't sytematically remove all the stems when they died down. Find pictures on the web if necessary, noting that yours will be smaller than the crowns nornally sold.

Prepare your new bed ASAP with lots of organic material, eg manure, compost etc. Dig it fairly deep as asparagus has long roots. Lift the crowns and plant them out about 30cm apart, the distance is not crucial as they will spread to fill the area anyway but about one foot is a good start. When the weather warms start to water (if it hasn't rained) and keep them damp (not wet). You should see new shoots soon. Do not cut the vernal shoots to eat for two years or three if they look spindly.

David

Reply to
David Hare-Scott