Mortgage Lifter

Is there something special that has to be done to get this variety to produce tomatos? This is the second year I 've tried growing them and so far not a tomato; last year I only got one. Do I need two Mortgage Lifters for cross pollenation? Special feeding requirements? Temp preferences? It's not like I can't grow tomatos, I've cherry, Stupice, Patio, and Better Boy coming out the wazoo, but all the Mortgage lifter does is look healthy, put out blooms, and get bigger. All my tomatos are getting the same regimen in the way of watering, fertilizer, and sunlight. I'm stumped. Sunset Zone 23 So. Cal. USA.
        Bill
earth.com says...

Sorry, forgot to mention I've tried that. Mine went in the ground the middle of March. We've been eating Stupice for a month, the others are just begining to ripen. We've had a really wierd spring/summer so far.
Sitting here watching a hummingbird work over the Buddelia "Black Knight" outside my window and it's chasing off the butterflies as they come in to feed. Greedy little pig. :)
        Bill
Which of the 11 varieties of Mortgage Lifter did you grow? Some are more prolific. Mortgage Lifter Estler's strain was my best tomato of all last season.
Mark

Stupice,
lifter
April
news.verizon.net wrote:

When I bought my ML seeds the packet didn't mention that there were alternative strains. Any clue how to tell them apart?
Bill
--
Zone 5b (Detroit, MI)
see: www.heirloomtomatoes.net & go to the All Varieties page.

news.verizon.net wrote:

EXCELLENT link ... thank you! Bill
--
Zone 5b (Detroit, MI)
snipped-for-privacy@tinlc.lumbercartel.com writes:

Thank you for sharing this. So far, that hasn't happened here that has been observed. I did add a Black Knight to my yard last summer. It's in front by the fish pond so we'll see what happens as it gets larger and produces more blossoms.
Watching the butterflies at the other bushes has been great. I have one that is visible from the kitchen window as well as the patio. Prior to it, they were in the front along the street and not in the line of sight from the back yard.
It's been primarily bumblebees and honey bees competing with the butterflies.
Glenna
snipped-for-privacy@pmug.org says...

I've got view of butterfly/hummingbird attracting flowers from most windows. In the morning while I'm doing the dishes I watch hummers doing battle over the sage plants out front. Pugnacious little flits.
        Bill

Mortgage Lifter has been one the more reliable of the open pollinated varieties for me. Tomatoes are self fertile so a good shake of the vine is all that required for that. It should set tomatoes about two- three weeks later than the Better Boy. It is a long season tomato. As someone has already mentioned, OP's in general are less tolerant of fertile soils than hybrids, translating nutrients into vine,