More than one squash at a time?

Page 2 of 2
Sue said:

The in the US, look to your state cooperative extension service for soil testing. You can check the phone book (in the County Government section) to see if your county has an extension service office, or use the following web site to look for your state soil testing lab (this site includes links to soil labs in Nova Scotia and Ontario Canada, too):
http://www.motherearthnews.com/directory/soil_test /
You order a test kit, which will come with instructions, which you follow to gather you soil sample. Mail it back and wait for results and recommendations.

Sue, where are you located? Did you put your name and location on the map at http://myguestmap.lorca.eti.br/guestmap.jsp?id=alancalan&locale=en ?

Zucchinis and crooknecks do if they're healthy. Which leads me to today's problem: so do "cream of the crop" white acorn squashes. I had hoped for a good harvest, but perhaps not quite THIS good. Does anybody have acorn squash recipe ideas that don't involve sweets - brown sugar, maple syrup, or honey?
I have one to share in exchange: Bake squashes as usual, split, and remove seeds. Fry bulk sausage and drain excess fat. Along with sausage in the remaining fat, saute chopped onions and apples. Pack the sausage/onion/apple mixture into squash cavities. Makes a nice October supper. Maple syrup and cinnamon go well but are optional.
Kathy

Take the top off like a pumpkin, remove the seeds, fill it with chopped apples (other fruits will work also) and add some cinniman. Bake for 45 minutes and eat. Or fry some meat and onions, stuff the squash with it and bake for 45 minutes and eat . Or cut them up and add to stew and soups. I also cut them in to slices, microwave them till tender, spray they with "I cant believe its not butter". Or Slice and fry them and eat. Or add them to casseroles.
Dwayne

Dwayne said:

Bake them with a bit of butter and season with black pepper. Add a dash of cayenne and a topping of sauteed onions to dress them up.
Puree cooked, peeled squash with a small portion of sauteed onions. Season with nutmeg and pepper (perhaps a dash of cayenne). Add cream or milk (up to half the total, though I prefer much less). Serve as a hot or cold soup.
Use pureed squash as an ingredient in muffins, pancakes or waffles, replacing some of the liquid and oil and cutting out some of the sugar. Season with cinnamon, cloves, and nutmeg. Chopped walnuts go well with the squash. (A family favorite is multigrain pumpkin waffles, served with homemade, reduced-sugar spiced apple jelly. The flour mix includes a variety of whole-grain flours and defatted soy flour.)
The most unusual way I've had squash is wrapped up corn tortillas and cooked as enchildas (with red chile sauce).