More green beans

Put up five more pints of green beans this afternoon plus have another pint uncooked for our dinner tonight. I'm really liking the variety we planted this year. Kentucky Blue, from Territorial Seed. Have grown and canned both Kentucky Wonder and Blue Lake and I'm sure these are tastier than the other two as we ate some of the first batch we picked.

More rain last night and this morning and now the sun is out, if the grass gets dried enough we may have to make hay out of it. At any rate it will get mowed sooner or later and tossed into the compost barrel to make more good stuff for the gardens. We have two nearby neighbors that don't have dogs so when they put their bags of freshly mowed grass at the curb we help the trash people by taking it off their hands. These folks also don't spray or fertilize and that makes it even better. We have a dog but we pick up after her daily so don't have a problem with dog poop in the compost.

Tomatoes still aren't green but are getting larger by the day. Still getting eggplant, sweet chiles, and two kinds of squash almost daily now.

George

Reply to
George Shirley

mmM! we're six to eight weeks out from that here.

we might get frosted Tuesday night, we've not put out any of the warm weather plants yet, but we might get to the green- house this week to pick them up to start acclimating them.

seems like almost any time i look at the radars you folks down there George are getting seriously rained on. i'd certainly understand why you'd have grass tall enough to make hay. :)

the green manure patch here is coming along well too, but we could use a little more rain than what we've had. we started getting the hoses in place for planting and watering in case i do need them in the coming weeks.

funny, the seed display went up in a store and they had some early season veggie seeds which say to plant in early spring, but that time is well past now... i picked up more stumpy carrot and fennel seeds and decided to pass on the bok choi. Ma is saying she wants to plant more things now than she was saying before... ah well...

:)

songbird

Reply to
songbird