moisture meters?

Hi- has anyone here in the group had any experience with those gizmos that you stick in the ground to measure the moisture content 6 or 8 inches down? Do they work? The ones I see seem pretty cheap; does that mean they're crap? Chas
I use more expensive ones in a research project in Australia, where we logg the moisture content in the ground for wheat irrigation studies. THey work fine. However, they are quite sensistive to differences in soiltype. But if you use them in the same plot, you should be fine.

I've used the cheap ones for years and I couldn't do without them.