mint with flowers

Can mint still be used for tea after it has begun flowering, or does flowering reduce the intensity of the leaves?
Alan

snipped-for-privacy@junk.min.net wrote:

I usually pick my mint in flower. More plant for the same effort ...
Henriette
--
Henriette Kress, AHG Helsinki, Finland
Henriette's herbal homepage: http://www.henriettesherbal.com

My experience is that herbs are at their most intense during flowering. Anybody think of an exception? - Bill

Wild Onions... ;-) They lose flavor totally when they bloom.....
But other than that, I agree with ya!
--
Peace!
Om

The radish I've planted seem to lose some flavor as well. I thought I read recently that someone else had radish that ended up more intense under some certain conditions (dryness?).
--
Jim Carlock
Post replies to the group.

I know Jalapenos sure do... <lol> Deprive them of water and they are HOT!!!!!
Well, hotter than the ones from the store anyway. <G>
My cockatoo loved them.
--
Peace!
Om

This really is like herding cats isn't it? (head'em up, move'em out)
The subject on the table before us was flowering mint and whether its' incomparable and sublime gastronomical qualities were blemished by it's primordial, irrepressible, biological impulse to flower. I took the imprudent step of expanding the discussion to herbs in general. And now look what's happened. We're all the bloody way back over in condiments.
So to sum up. The flowering mint should just be ducky for brewing a tisane to imbibe on a warm summer afternoon. As long, of course, as you keep the wilting wild onions, radishes, jalapeno peppers and the odd Charolais out of it.
So. Done here then are we? Good;->
- Bill

I think the answer was that blooming made it better. :-) I concur. I used to grow spearmint and lemon mint.

Indeed... <G> Carry on!
--
Peace!
Om