minimum pot size for chili plants

Hi

my 1st post, maybe of many ;)

i have 50 chilli plants.

various variaties - 7 different types - 8 including my sweet peppers.

now last year i used pretty big pots for each plant, however with so many this year (for jams and chuckneys) i need to know the minimum pot size i can get away with for average sized chilli plants so as not to hold them back too much.

am hoping 3ltr pots will do it, but smaller would be good if poss... i used 6 liter pots last year but i just do not have room for 50 of them!, and the compost would cost a fortune.

thanks for any advice. am wondering if i could use small tomato growbags at a push, maybe 4 plants in each one.

cheers M.

Reply to
bigmike20vt

The size of your plant will depend on the size of its' root system. Smaller pots = smaller plants.

Reply to
Billy

Hello Mike,

I have been growing all my veggies in containers for a while now. For the last few years I have had 24 pepper plants in six plastic "window planters" that are 6" wide by about 3'long and 5 or 6" deep, 4 plants to the container. I grow jalapeño, cayenne, Ital hots, and habbies. I don't know about the size of the plants, but I am very happy with their production. Keep them watered and well fed, I think you may be surprised. Good luck!

Tim

Reply to
Tim

You're more likely to get a suitable response if you don't divulge the specific species of peppers, number of plants per pot, and growing environment you have. WTF is "sweet peppers", I'm a TX guy, jalapenos and habeneros guy. Rarely, I use bell peppers in a stews that I make from time to time. Can you educate me in wimpy Yankee "peppers" and why you grow them, what you use them for?

Reply to
Dioclese

Dave has obviously never had a thick, grilled, red, bell pepper. The last tough yahoo who wanted one of my habaneros, gobbled it down, barfed it up, and went home sick. I don't have a recipe that calls for more than a half of a habanero and that's for four people. I don't know what to tell you, if you think that you have to suffer to be a real man. Maybe your not a real man until you have your first heart attack?

You drinking again Dave, or are you a graduate of the Shelley School of Charm?

Reply to
Billy

Thanks everyone for the responses (tho it seems that they have gone on the wrong thread so sorry to the OP who was asking about buying the best seeds!).

to answer Dave, who i am sure drives a Chelsea Tractor to keep his man image intact as well ;)

my chilis/peppers are as follows

Jalapeno purple Habanero orange habanero Caribbean red Pepper De Arbol Indian Fire Cracker Hungarian Hot Wax Scotch bonnet Red Pepper (Capsicum) Fresno Naga Morich Anahiem TMR chillies sweet pepper Bellboy F1

Reply to
bigmike20vt

Man, you must hate mornings ;O)

Reply to
Billy

LOL!!!! Really tho, I think heat is all relative. I don't know about anyone else, but the flavor, along with a little bite is why I grow my peppers. He does have a nice selection...I've never heard of the Naga Morich, or the Caribbean habby, gonna have to look those up. Makes me wish my garden center was better stocked!

btw--- I always thought the Scotch Bonnet and the habby were almost the exact same pepper?

Tim

Reply to
Tim

Slightly different shape. Scotch Bonnet is a little shorter and plumper. All of which is lost on your anal sphincter. Ice cream helps but melts, if you sit on it for too long;O)

Reply to
Billy

It's been said that a teaspoon of cayenne (or any hot pepper powder or tincture) mixed in a glass of water and glugged down will stop or mitigate a heart or brain attack.

It's also said that the same dosage thrice daily will promote circulation and help in cases of arterial baddies. Good fer the colon also, it's said.

Try it, tain't near as hot as one would imagine, though I'd suggest stirring it in cold water.

Part of my daily downings. Next morning complaints are short lived.

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie

Now thats truly interesting, where did you learn that? I eat raw garlic, said to have the same effect, but I just like the taste. Billy, do you really have that problem the next day? I never have... Must be lucky.

hmmm...Its time...wine is good for you too, mix the cayenne with the garlic, throw in some rose hips, an eye of newt, hair of toad...stir, stir........

Tim

Reply to
Tim

Gives new meaning to a Hot Toddy, eh?

Ah yes indeed! A fellow sorcerer!

I too enjoy several, and sometimes more, cloves of garlic daily. My wife "encourages" me to back off when my skin begins to exude the aroma of garlic.

As fer as the cayenne thing, sometimes I am, uh, embarrased to admit where I read some of the things I do, but in the case of the cayenne, I figure it sure as hell isn't going to hurt me. So, simply google cayenne+heart+attack, and the information is there. Never mind, here it is.

should keep one busy for a while. :-)

I also sprinkle cayenne powder on lots of my food. I've started using small amounts of Hi-Test cayenne, 180,000 hu, obtained from my favorite herbal dispensor. Scroll down for cayenne.

Charlie

Hell yes. You the man. Wish you didn't have to piggyback on Nancy's response to respond to me though. Again, what is the sweetpepper thing and what do you use it in?

Reply to
Dioclese

expect such a response to fit your picture of the world.

I say what I think. You say what other's say, no personal opinion, no thought, just "facts" as other see them to support your original posts. Really original (sic). Pretty safe in that world, eh Nancy?

Reply to
Dioclese

Well Daffy Dave seems to be everywhere tonight. He seems to think that the lunatic fringe are the only people worried about the economy and where Obama is leading us. Problem is that it wouldn't do anyone any good to be associated with a Bushite, who brought us to the party. Dave is obviously going to be hysterical for a few days. Don't forget to water your plants Dave. Maybe they would like to hear your opinions;O)

Reply to
Billy

Must have an asbestos anal sphincter!

Just keep stirring Tim, I was with ya up to the rose hips. Garlic and ginger are supposed to be the two best things that a person can eat (at least for fudge factors) and lots of green leaves like lettuce, mustard, cabbage, and chard. It's the processed foods that will do you in. Hard to say, when I like French bread and flour tortillas so much.

Reply to
Billy

You think? Well, I suppose we all have our little conceits.

Reply to
Billy

Oh puleeeze.....a hardass like you?

Wuss.

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie

Some interesting advice on this thread.

if its true that capsaicin helps reduce heart disease and strokes, I am laughing as i eat a LOT of hot food ;)

the sweet peppers usually i would use in salads, sandwiches, chinese food and sometimes (rarely) stuffed and roasted in the oven.

the hotter chilis i use in sandwiches, pickles/chutney, most of my cooking .......

and games of chance or arcade games on my arcade machine where penalties for losing include vodka shots, chilis etc

yes i am a child at heart!.

Reply to
bigmike20vt

hehehe....I don't know, it's just never bothered me. Course, I was raised on chilli dogs from New Castle, Pa, and the sauce was very tasty & hot..Eh, that was in the sixties, now its not even there...We used to get 2 quarts of the sauce and put it on everything from fries to salads....Man was it good. I do draw the line at biting into a habby, tho...I like to taste my food along with the flavor of a good pepper.

I am going to have to view the link thats in here somewhere about the cayenne as I have some heart issues myself. Like the damn thing quits beating every now and then...You think a hot pepper kicks, ya oughta feel my defibrillator!

btw -- the Rose hips were to make it smell better!

Tim

Reply to
Tim