minimum pot size for chili plants

Page 1 of 3
Hi
my 1st post, maybe of many ;)
i have 50 chilli plants.
various variaties - 7 different types - 8 including my sweet peppers.
now last year i used pretty big pots for each plant, however with so many this year (for jams and chuckneys) i need to know the minimum pot size i can get away with for average sized chilli plants so as not to hold them back too much.
am hoping 3ltr pots will do it, but smaller would be good if poss... i used 6 liter pots last year but i just do not have room for 50 of them!, and the compost would cost a fortune.
thanks for any advice. am wondering if i could use small tomato growbags at a push, maybe 4 plants in each one.
cheers M.
--
bigmike20vt

Add pictures here
βœ–

The size of your plant will depend on the size of its' root system. Smaller pots = smaller plants.
--

- Billy
βœ–
Billy wrote:

Hello Mike,
I have been growing all my veggies in containers for a while now. For the last few years I have had 24 pepper plants in six plastic "window planters" that are 6" wide by about 3'long and 5 or 6" deep, 4 plants to the container. I grow jalapeρo, cayenne, Ital hots, and habbies. I don't know about the size of the plants, but I am very happy with their production. Keep them watered and well fed, I think you may be surprised. Good luck!
Tim
Add pictures here
βœ–

You're more likely to get a suitable response if you don't divulge the specific species of peppers, number of plants per pot, and growing environment you have. WTF is "sweet peppers", I'm a TX guy, jalapenos and habeneros guy. Rarely, I use bell peppers in a stews that I make from time to time. Can you educate me in wimpy Yankee "peppers" and why you grow them, what you use them for?
--
Dave
Dependency on large banks is undermining your, your children's, and
"Dioclese" <NONE> wrote:

Dave has obviously never had a thick, grilled, red, bell pepper. The last tough yahoo who wanted one of my habaneros, gobbled it down, barfed it up, and went home sick. I don't have a recipe that calls for more than a half of a habanero and that's for four people. I don't know what to tell you, if you think that you have to suffer to be a real man. Maybe your not a real man until you have your first heart attack?
You drinking again Dave, or are you a graduate of the Shelley School of Charm?
--

- Billy
βœ–

Add pictures here
βœ–

Man, you must hate mornings ;O)
--

- Billy
βœ–

LOL!!!! Really tho, I think heat is all relative. I don't know about anyone else, but the flavor, along with a little bite is why I grow my peppers. He does have a nice selection...I've never heard of the Naga Morich, or the Caribbean habby, gonna have to look those up. Makes me wish my garden center was better stocked!
btw--- I always thought the Scotch Bonnet and the habby were almost the exact same pepper?
Tim
Add pictures here
βœ–

Slightly different shape. Scotch Bonnet is a little shorter and plumper. All of which is lost on your anal sphincter. Ice cream helps but melts, if you sit on it for too long;O)
--

- Billy
βœ–

It's been said that a teaspoon of cayenne (or any hot pepper powder or tincture) mixed in a glass of water and glugged down will stop or mitigate a heart or brain attack.
It's also said that the same dosage thrice daily will promote circulation and help in cases of arterial baddies. Good fer the colon also, it's said.
Try it, tain't near as hot as one would imagine, though I'd suggest stirring it in cold water.
Part of my daily downings. Next morning complaints are short lived.
Charlie
Add pictures here
βœ–
Charlie wrote:

Now thats truly interesting, where did you learn that? I eat raw garlic, said to have the same effect, but I just like the taste. <much to my wifes regret> Billy, do you really have that problem the next day? I never have... Must be lucky.
hmmm...Its time...wine is good for you too, mix the cayenne with the garlic, throw in some rose hips, an eye of newt, hair of toad...stir, stir........
Tim
Add pictures here
βœ–

Gives new meaning to a Hot Toddy, eh?
Ah yes indeed! A fellow sorcerer!
I too enjoy several, and sometimes more, cloves of garlic daily. My wife "encourages" me to back off when my skin begins to exude the aroma of garlic.
As fer as the cayenne thing, sometimes I am, uh, embarrased to admit where I read some of the things I do, but in the case of the cayenne, I figure it sure as hell isn't going to hurt me. So, simply google cayenne+heart+attack, and the information is there. Never mind, here it is.
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q Κyenne+heart+attack&btnG=Google+Search
This should keep one busy for a while. :-)
I also sprinkle cayenne powder on lots of my food. I've started using small amounts of Hi-Test cayenne, 180,000 hu, obtained from my favorite herbal dispensor. Scroll down for cayenne.
http://www.herbaladvantage.com/showproducts.cfm?UUIDB1B7B0CA-3048-83DA-7ADB5D7FEE286B90.04162009&AID=1&CategoryID=2&Ltr=C
--
Charlie

“Dr. Munro, sir, said he, "I am a walking museum. You could fit what
βœ–

Must have an asbestos anal sphincter!

Just keep stirring Tim, I was with ya up to the rose hips. Garlic and ginger are supposed to be the two best things that a person can eat (at least for fudge factors) and lots of green leaves like lettuce, mustard, cabbage, and chard. It's the processed foods that will do you in. Hard to say, when I like French bread and flour tortillas so much.
--

- Billy
βœ–

Oh puleeeze.....a hardass like you?
Wuss.
Charlie
Add pictures here
βœ–
Charlie wrote:

hehehe....I don't know, it's just never bothered me. Course, I was raised on chilli dogs from New Castle, Pa, and the sauce was very tasty & hot..Eh, that was in the sixties, now its not even there...We used to get 2 quarts of the sauce and put it on everything from fries to salads....Man was it good. I do draw the line at biting into a habby, tho...I like to taste my food along with the flavor of a good pepper.
I am going to have to view the link thats in here somewhere about the cayenne as I have some heart issues myself. Like the damn thing quits beating every now and then...You think a hot pepper kicks, ya oughta feel my defibrillator!
btw -- the Rose hips were to make it smell better!
Tim
Add pictures here
βœ–

I only made the mistake of biting a habby once.

Oh shit......bet that is a hell of a way to be awakened! When it gives you a jolt, does it make you react like somebody goosed ya or blurt out a Tourrette's type of thing? ;-)

heh heh....
Charlie
Add pictures here
βœ–

It's really never happened when I'm asleep. To be honest with you, imagine standing with your eyes closed, knowing that someone has a sledge-hammer in front of you....You don't know when the hit is coming, but..................Thats about what it feels like.....
Hey, I can still drink some wine, and grow some peppers! It don't get no better!
Tim
Add pictures here
βœ–

*Are you effing serious!* Whoa...that's like really trippy, but something to which one becomes accustomed. Better'n the alternative, no doubt!

I agree and admire your attitude!

Charlie
"To keep from dying is not the same as "to live."" --- Bene Gesserit Saying
Add pictures here
βœ–
Charlie wrote:

lol...yeh, thats what it feels like to me. Some units are set to just 'tickle' the heart to get it to beat normal again, mine is set to knock me on my keister

I look at it like this, 9 years ago the Docs told me I had five years to live...So I spent those five living, enjoying sunsets, really looking at my wifes flower garden etc...I really believe that mental health leads to physical health....<that and the three kids finally all moved out!> lol.
Tim
Add pictures here
βœ–

And here is an important lesson for all of us! (I don't mean getting the kids out. heh heh) It's hard to develop that attitude without the stimulis of our potential demise, but it's sure important to work on. Elisabeth Kubler-Ross wrote of this in her final years, that facing your death and working through it in advance of the event, in order that one could fully enjoy the living.
You keep on keepin' on, Tim and hang out here more often, ya' hear!
Hell, if you're lucky ya' might even manage to piss off Billy and enjoy one of his fine tirades. ;-)
Charlie
“Your living is determined not so much by what life brings to you as by the attitude you bring to life; not so much by what happens to you as by the way your mind looks at what happens.” -- Kahlil Gibran
Add pictures here
βœ–