Meyer lemon rootstock prune?

Greetings,

Have a meyer lemon indoors, zone 5. It has one lemon on it, and just dropped 90+ percent of the scion leaves - after a drink with acid-type fertilizer, applied per directions. There are two large-ish suckers from the rootstock on the plant, and I was wondering if I should snip these off now, or wait a bit b/c of the lone lemon..

The leaves are quite dark and healthy looking, just wondered if the rootstock might be taking over the plant, and if so, should I prune..?

Also, the tree is covered in new blossom buds. Does that sound normal, that it is blooming when there are no leaves (almost none) on it..??

Thanks!

Reply to
gonzo

I/m a novice Meyer grower. If it were my tree, I/d leave the suckers on until new scion leaves appear and begin to mature. To do otherwise will reduce the amount of what few leaves you have left that are needed for what will hopefully be a full recovery from the extreme leaf drop.

Do you think the ferts caused the leaf drop or could it have been due to the soil getting too moist?

Reply to
TQ

Sounds like you're doing everything wrong.I raise citrus in Florida. Use ONLY citrus fertilizer found at Home Depot type stores. Keep barely moist in a full sunny location.No wet feet. Cut all suckers off ,all the time,anytime.Fertilize early spring and late spring.VERY LIGHTLY for a potted plant. Good luck

Reply to
royboybn

I was sorta thinking long the same lines.

Thanks. I think the leaf drop is seasonal, it has happened before after bringing the pot in from outdoors, where it lives during the summer/fall. This year I kept it out later than normal, and it probably just thought it was the right thing to do. I don't recall it blooming without leaves, though. There are just a handful. The rootstocks will get pruned out later this spring, and I'll watch the moisture better. Hopefully that will help!

Reply to
gonzo

Some other tips... Repot to a slightly larger pot every third year,,, Blooming seems to be normal.. NEVER fertalize going into winter...Cut any roots off that are going in a circle when repotting.... Freshen soil with new soil added also. loose mixture with 20 % pearlite added. Sunny location......Good luck

Reply to
royboybn