Meyer Lemon Ripeness

How do you know when a Meyer lemon is ripe? I've had a plant for a couple of years in a pot and it has a couple of lemons on it that are turning yellow.
I have had lemons on my Meyer's lemon for the last three years and I find that when they look like the ones I buy in the store they are ripe. That is they are fully yellow. The great thing about them is that when they are tree ripened unlike the ones in the store, they have a great sweet taste as well as the tangy lemoney taste. You can almost eat them like an orange if you like very tart tasting fruit.
Linda
Bill Moats wrote:

On Mon, 01 Nov 2004 15:38:15 -0500, Linda Barsalou

And they also smell wonderful!
cheers,
Marj
--
Mediterranean Garden Advice and Shop: http://stores.tiefert.com/garden /
Also: http://www.mindspring.com/~mtiefert/garden/semiarid_gardening.html

They are ripe when they look like the ones in the supermarket. :-)

I had an old experienced commercial gardener tell me that lemons were ripe whenever you choose to pick them. They never truely ripen. A lemon is sour. It is sour when it is yellow and it is sour when it is green. One of the other posters indicated that the Meyer lemon does sweeten a bit, but they never get really sweet. You can wait too long until the lemon starts to dry out on the inside.
Dick

A local radio expert nurseryman/horticulturist (SF Bay Area 560AM) provided the answer that you can always just watch the stem to the base of the lemon, when it begins to turn from green to darker color the lemon has reached it's peak of maturity (ripe & ready for tea)!
-DF