Mexican Oregano

We talked about Mexican oregano back in the spring, and after much searching, I found a mail order nursery that carried it, and ordered.

Well, after all that work, I found trays and trays of it for sale at Lowe's today, and their's was larger and cheaper than what I bought. The leaves are smaller, but I don't know if that's because they're in such small pots or if I have a slightly different variety. They do smell slightly different, but that could also be the difference in handing and growing conditions. The Lowe's Mexican Oregano has a softer, less sharp taste to it.

Anyway, I've tried mine in a few dishes, and it does add an interesting flavor. Hopefully they'll come back even bigger next year so I can experiment more. I didn't want to pick them down to the nub before they were well established. I bought one of the Lowe's plants, too, so I can compare the two.

And, well, I didn't want to stand in the store tasting their plants. They already think I'm a bit odd for being excited about finding monarch butterfly caterpillars on the milkweed they were selling. Heh, I asked the cashier if she was going to charge me extra for the caterpillars, and she squealed and jumped back from the cash register when I pointed them out to her.

Penelope

Reply to
Penelope Periwinkle

That's hilarious... ;-) Hopefully they will come back to your yard every year to lay more eggs!

Thanks for the heads up about the Mexican Oregano at Lowe's! Mine has been blooming all summer and the butterflies seem to be attracted to it. It does not get enough water where it is so it's not growing very fast so I'd like to get more plants and put them in other areas in the yard. They do eventually get pretty big and they are lovely with all those little purple trumpet shaped blooms!

I'd say the flavor compares more to Marjoram than Oregano. I do use it and I like it.

Cheers!

Reply to
OmManiPadmeOmelet

Oh, I hope so, too!

Mine hasn't bloomed yet, but I noticed yesterday that it has buds.

Just to make sure we're all on the same page, what I grew was _Lippia graveolens_. There is, apparently, a Texas native flower that is also called Mexican oregano, and it's _Labiatae Poliomintha longiflora_.

Penelope

Reply to
Penelope Periwinkle

Darn. Checked this morning and the Lowe's here within 25 miles of the headquarters do not have it. Will have to check early next year. Has anyone found a source for seeds?

Reply to
The Cook

Oops! Ok, I have the second one. :-) TOTALLY different plant!

It's very nice tho' for both landscaping and cooking.

I bought mine originally from "It's About Thyme" nursery in Austin.

Thanks!

Reply to
OmManiPadmeOmelet

I'll watch mine for you and see if it produces any... It did throw a LOT of blooms!

Try "it's about Thyme" nursery in Austin. If they don't have the exact plant, they are very good about ordering and sourcing.

Reply to
OmManiPadmeOmelet

Perhaps, so as to eliminate any confusion, you could specify the correct latin name for this beast?

Thanks in advance,

Dominic-Luc Webb

Reply to
Dominic-Luc Webb

I did, in a post to Om, but here it is again.

_Lippia graveolens_

Penelope

Reply to
Penelope Periwinkle

Thanks bunches... I did not get the later postings with this info before I posted that request. I am now learning about this plant, finding some links. Any recommendations where to purchase bulk seeds? I am in Sweden, and do not find this locally.

Actually, along same lines, I am trying to locate seeds for Eryngium foetidum (cilantro extranjero), which is not same as koriander, but has a koriander-like flavor. Seeds from local seed collections are few, expensive and have very poor growability. I have not been able to establish this plant thus far.

Dominic-Luc Webb

Reply to
Dominic-Luc Webb

I believe that is one of the places I looked. $8+ for the plant plus outrageous shipping to the east coast. I'm not THAT interested.

Reply to
The Cook

Mine has some bloom buds on it. If it produces any seed, I'll be glad to share. When I was looking for it this spring, I couldn't find any seed, however, if it's popular enough to be found at Lowe's, we might start seeing seed for sale.

Penelope

Reply to
Penelope Periwinkle

Let's all keep our eyes open and post a message if we find a source of seed.

Reply to
The Cook

Did not know where you lived, sorry! ;-)

If you want good on line plant sources with reasonable shipping, do seriously consider ebay!!!

Got my strawberries and asparagus there, and it put me in touch with nurseries I'd not known about so I was able to make private purchases later and get catalogues.

Cheers!

Reply to
OmManiPadmeOmelet