melons & pumpkin thinning

Hi

I have some pots about to plant out with more than one seedling plant in them. I assume its necessary to remove anything thats more than the one plant, but I thought I'd check. FWIW I'm in Britain, where the growing season is only just about long enough for these squashes, and they're going into big tubs.

And while I'm here, just how much rotted dung in each one is best?

Thanks

NT

Reply to
meow2222

The growth of the more sprawling curcurbits like melons and pumpkins is limited by room for the leaves to spread and get sun and room for the roots to spread and get moisture and nutrients. There is no benefit in planting them any closer than these limits permit as the extra plants will be smaller as they have to share the resources. However if you do have too many you will still get healthy plants and fruit - just smaller. Keep the spares in case some transplants don't take and disturb the roots as little as possible while doing it, this may mean sacrificing all but one if the roots are intertwined. You will do better starting just one seed in each container and plant the whole rootball undisturbed.

Some cultivars of pumpkins can become rampant if the roots are well supplied so be prepared for them to escape the tubs and go a roving. Do not put them near anything that will not cope with being blanketed for the season or you will have to cut them back which rather defeats the purpose of growing them well. I have one plant that is covering about 100 square metres, maybe more.

Be generous these are heavy feeders.

David

Reply to
David Hare-Scott