'Maters !

Got 7 quarts cooling in the pressure canner as I type , looks like we'll get one or two batches this size every week for a while . I'll be freezing some of the San Marzanos for spaghetti sauce too . I better get off my butt and get some shelves built in the cellar ... between the honey and the veggies we're running out of shelf space inside .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

Congratulations! Just how many quarts of canned tomatoes can you eat? I once made tomato catsup and then later made tomato juice. That's back when dear wife felt that 20 or 30 tomato plants were required to call herself a gardener. Should have seen the year she went for okra, we're still eating the stuff out of the freezer.

My favorite thing is cleaning out the big freezer, 25 cubic feet, of all the odds and ends of leftovers she tried to save. Recovered a lot of containers and almost burned out the sinkerator. That's what happens when you marry the middle child of six. Other than that she's been a good wife. Her folks grew to adulthood during the Great Depression and they left a helluva legacy for their middle one.

Now I can shed a tear, out tomatoes are gone, so are the crowder peas and the cucumbers. The zucchini and yellow squash never made fruit. It's hard for gardens to live in a constant small piece of Hades. The "real feel" outside today is 108F, otherwise it's just 95F with no shade nor clouds, nor rain. I think it's time to stop gardening and let the soil lie fallow until some decent weather comes by. ]

Reply to
George Shirley

If that suits your uses well, good enough. I'd just like to toss in a word in favor of dehydrating them, which is what we do with the vast majority of ours, but we are not big sauce-eaters. I think it ends up a bit more compact (certainly lighter) as well. Someone will drop a dehydrator off at the thrift store if you keep an eye out for it, or you can get it the expensive way (I did that, and have since seen that I could have saved a bit by having my eye on the other method.)

Reply to
Ecnerwal

We have a dehydrator and I plan to use it for some of the tomatoes . We're sauce eaters , she's already making plans for me (!!) to make this huge batch of spaghetti sauce so she can can it . I want to do some pizza sauce now that I've finally tweaked the recipe to suit us .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

Awesome!!!

I am on my fourth cherry tomato. :'(

Home made tomato sauce is to die for!

Any change of talking your wife out of her recipes?

Umm , they aren't her recipes ... they're mine .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

Hi Terry,

So, how about your recipes ???

I am the cook too in the family. I love it when my wife's ends her sentences with "... and I completely cognisant of the fact that you cook!"

Live is good!

-T

Two of our grand daughters (9 &13) are up for a visit . Grammie and the girls got home from a trip to town just as the cinnamon rolls were cool enough to eat ... The thing is , I'm retired and she works p/t at WallyWorld . I'm pretty loose with scheduling , so I can fix dishes that need several operations over the day . She likes my cookin' ...

Reply to
Terry Coombs

Oh , and ot'll take me a day or so to write down a couple of my best , but here's one for some fajita seasoning :

1 tbsp flour 2 tsp chili powder 1 tsp salt 1 tsp paprika 1 tsp sugar 1 tsp chicken bullion 1/2 tsp onion powder 1/4 tsp garlic powder 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper 1/4 tsp cumin I usually increase the onion and garlic powders a little . You can delete the cayenne if you plan to use fresh chopped hot peppers (serranos and anaheims are good) . I sprinkle some on the meat as soon as it hits the pan , add enough to coat well when the meat's cooked then add a dash of water . makes for a nice even coating of seasoning on the meat . Of course it goes with out saying that there will be onions and a little green pepper in with the meat ... and seasoned rice and refritos on the side .
Reply to
Terry Coombs

Mine does too, I like my cooking better than hers too. I learned to cook from my paternal grandmother, born around 1890 so I do things by hand rather than buying parts of this and that and throwing it together. My wife makes better biscuits so that's her job.

Reply to
George Shirley

Awesome! Thank you!

Creole Seasoning units can vary , how much do you want to make ?

2 measures onion powder 2 garlic powder 2 oregano 2 basil 1 thyme 1 black pepper 1 cayenne (or ground up dried serrano) 5 paprika 3 salt

and my favorite SnagRub

5 onion powder 2 garlic powder 1 paprika 2 salt 4 chili powder 6 brown sugar It will clump some if left standing , just shake it up . This is the dry rub I use on my smoked pork butts and shoulders . It's also good sprinkled on grilled skinned chicken or used as a "marinade" for pork chops/steaks/country style ribs . The marinade is a couple of tablespoons of white cooking wine to a quarter cup or so of rub with the meat and all in a ziplock bag .
Reply to
Terry Coombs

Awesome! Thank you!

What does your "chili powder" consist of? I have to use all single spices to avoid sugar and excitotoxins. Also I have to avoid anything from the coriander family (cumin, cilantro, etc.) as my wife have a two step allergy to them (two steps and she is dead -- scary stuff). I use Oregano in its place. Not sure how well it does.

How about your tomato sauce recipe?

Would you be interested in my primal stock recipes or primal pancakes or primal broccoli cheese soup?

I have great primal ranch dressing and blue cheese dressing recipes too

-T

All recipes noted down and if I change anything over the course of time these will become MY recipes.

Thanks

Mike

Reply to
Bloke Down The Pub

That's what all decent cooks do Mike. Find someone else's recipe and claim it. I have receipes from my great grandmother, grandmother, mother, etc. All handwritten in a shaky hand, they have all gone to their reward many years ago. I even have some fifty year old cook books that we still use. If someone leaves their secret recipe lying around it means they want to have someone steal it. That's how "good" cooks spread their recipes around.

When we first married, 57 years ago, we only trusted Betty Crocker. I think I might go fishing this afternoon, to hot to do anything else. Tilly Dawg Shirley goes for a CAT scan at 0900, we're still trying to find what is making her sneeze and cough so much which wakes me up a lot over the night.

George

Reply to
George Shirley

All but the dry rub recipe became mine that way . The SnagRub recipe is an original collaboration of my daughter and I though .

Reply to
Terry Coombs