Lycopene in tomatoes

Interesting article on new cherry tomato raisin developed in Israel. (who knew there was such a thing?)

First 3 'graphs:

=================

Eating your vegetables just got a whole lot healthier. An Israeli company has just created a new tasty tomato that is high in natural antioxidants that can help treat and prevent disease.

Naturally bred to include high amounts of the compound lycopene, previously available only as a dietary supplement, the Israeli-developed Lyc-O-Mato brand self-dried cherry tomato raisin will now be available as a food additive.

Lycopene is a nutrient and antioxidant that is naturally occurring in small quantities in vegetables such as tomatoes. It has been suggested that it can help treat cardiovascular disease, cancer, diabetes, osteoporosis, and even male infertility. It is also useful in supporting skin health.

================

P.

Reply to
Persephone

This idea is still born as far as I'm concerned until the Palestinians get their land back. I will buy nothing Israeli, although I know many good people live there. That should be enough to derail the group for awhile.

That said, we are talking about "the tomato (Solanum lycopersicum)". This new tomato allows you to get the same nutrition by eating fewer tomatoes? Why would you want to do that?

If they marketers found away to make cardboard taste like tomatoes, I would probably eat it. But no, they have come up with a way to make tomatoes taste like cardboard.

In the mean time, enjoy real, short shelf-life tomatoes, while they are in season.

Reply to
Billy Rose

Uh, oh! So much for our relationship.

Suggestion: Do a little research rather than relying on shrill Arab lies; they are expert at manipulating media and people.

Don't bother to reply, as I will no longer be reading your posts.

P.

[..]
Reply to
Persephone

Jews and Moslems lived together for fifteen hundred years. Then the UN said to the Palestinians, this land is no longer yours. How many of you would let foreigners chase you from your land? In the Nakba, in 1948, Palestinians fled for their lives. They are not allowed to return. Under international law, this is illegal. Israel is in defiance of at least 2 UN resolutions for Israeli withdrawal from land under Israeli "occupation". Resistance to Israeli occupation is termed terrorism. Israelis have F-16 jets and Abrams tanks. Palestinians have baskets with bombs in them. Peace groups in Israel have had hand grenades thrown at them. Yitzhak Rabin, Prime Minister of Israel, was assassinated because he proposed peace, not a just peace, but peace. Rachel Corrie, an American peace activist was run over by an armored Caterpillar tractor that was going to destroy a home with a family inside it. The documentary, "Death in Gaza" (HBO) describes James Miller and Saira Shah attempt to give a balance view of the conflict. Miller was killed by Israeli forces. Israel's offer of peace is what "white" South Africa offered black Africans, apartheid. It wasn't acceptable then. It's not acceptable now.

And, sadly, The Queen of the Underworld, Persephone has shown the same lack of flexibility as the state she promotes.

Reply to
Billy Rose

Here is a plan:

The United States should BUY from Mexico a strip of land along the Mexican / U.S. border about 10 miles wide. The U.S. could then tell Israel that this is their new "Promised Land". The Jews would leave the Middle East. The Jews would have a new group of people to exploit and they would serve as a buffer to help prevent the invasion of the United States by poor Mexicans. Those Jews know how to build fences and walls. The land is mostly hot and dry desert type climate which the Jews are used to. If the Jews insisted on fighting a war, they could go up to Utah and pick on the Mormans. Joe Lieberman could satisfy his political ambitions and run for President of the new "Promised Land". A lot of issues would be solved.

Reply to
Paul E. Lehmann

Hey you Nazi putz. I suggest we give the Palestinians a nice homeland in Deutchland.

As far as exploiting the Mexicans, certain American conglomerates do a good job of that already. They don't need Israeli help.

Sherw> Billy Rose wrote:

Reply to
sherwindu

Being pig ignorant ain't kosher. Stop embarrassing yourself.

Reply to
Billy Rose

My apologies to four legged pigs everywhere. What we have here is cranial rectal inversion, plain and simple.

Reply to
Billy Rose

Now that you are finished with your 3rd grade banter, maybe you can get back to gardening issues.

Sherwin

Reply to
sherwindu

What I initially said about the perfidious Israeli tomato was," This idea is still born as far as I'm concerned until the Palestinians get their land back. I will buy nothing Israeli, although I know many good people live there."

Your response was,"You are an idiot."

You have failed to substantiate you assertion through fact or logic, leaving me with the inescapable conclusion that you are a bigoted blowhard of the worst type.

By all means, let's return to gardening.

Reply to
Billy Rose