Low carb, high fat cute garden plants?

We mostly stick to chicken (Amish) and fish.

Couldn't 'sell' the ostrich and buffalo to the others in this house.

Reply to
Pat Kiewicz

What promotes tumor growth is higher level of blood sugar, which you would typically get on a high carb diet. That said, high carb or low carb, would not affect the final outcome of an inoperable cancer, it might make death occur a little more, or less, sooner. A matter of a month or two or some such.

That is not incompatible with low carbing. I am low carbing and I eat more vegs and fruits than most average people. My fruits are peppers and tomatoes. (they are technically fruits, although I tend to think about them as vegs)

Ignoramus26859

Diet beside, no one seems to have really answered the original 'gardening' question !

I must say I haven't read through ALL the opinions generated from this original post. Amusing though they all were. Someone hit a nerve ! I did see some minor attempts to answer the gardening/diet part of the question, but they were few and scant in information for 'growing' purposes.

Without wanting to add yet another opinionated response to Ignoramus's 'diet requirements' (Is that name a joke/is the question a joke?)

The original question relating to plants was

'My desire is to plant some pretty, high fat, low carb, edible plants that are not grains'.

I am not a diet expert, but my understanding is very few plants are high in fats.

High fats are usually meat/dairy products. The are exceptions of course, being mainly nuts. Man who would WANT to be on a diet without vegetables and fruit !!

Back to plants..

Sunflower's can be made into unsaturated oils, so yes they would suit.

Someone mentioned spinach. I may be wrong, but I didn't think it was high in fats.

You haven't said much about the soil quality, water and direction this wall faces or how long are you prepared to wait for your crop, because nut trees, depending on the nut, can be 7 years old before they give any crop.

I would suggest you research a few small nut trees if you intend to be on this 'diet' for want of a better word, for a prolonged or continuing period.

Pecans and walnuts would probably be best for zone 5 I believe, but too large for this area. Maybe a couple of hazelnut trees could work. (need male/female) I believe they only take a few years to yield some fruit. There are other nut trees of course, and you may find more appropriate types.

Also Avocado is an excellent high saturated fat fruit, but you need two trees and they are very frost intolerant. They may manage if you have a microclimate going in this position (but it doesn't sound like it)

I'd like to say good luck with the 'diet' but it sound's bloody unhealthy to me.. So, I hope you don't die of a coronary. But good luck in the garden.

Liza

Reply to
Kirsty

The direction is south and there is next to NO shade. It is former lawn next to a big oak that was recently removed.

I would absolutely love to plant nut trees (filberts expecially), but, unfortunately, there is an overabundance of squirrels, and they would likely eat all the nuts first.

Won't work due to -5F winters, plus I am allergic to them anyway.

Thanks for your concern, I hope not to die of coronary either and, frankly, I hope that have better chances of that being slim on this diet, rather than being fat on a "balanced" diet.

Ignoramus26859

He'd been on ultra-low carb diet for a number of years...

I hope you prefer the sweet, ripe peppers to the green ones. Far more nutritious.

Blueberries are among the most phyto-chemically rich fruits you can eat. Plus dark-colored grapes and plums. How about peaches and colorful melons?

As for veggies, diet that discourages you from eating carrots and deep orange sweet potatoes is silly.

Final word.

Reply to
Pat Kiewicz

Usually, yes, although it depends on store price and what I can get from my garden.

I eat peaches sometimes, no melons.

I do eat carrots, I don't like them much though. As for sweet potatoes, they are not allowed on my diet and I do not eat them. I used to eat them before and did not particularly like them.

If I want to not lose weight and eat fruits, my personal preference is apples.

All in all, I eat about 3 lbs of vegetables per day, so, I don't think I will develop some vitamin deciciency.

Ignoramus474

not to mention parsnips, chestnuts, and freshly dug potatoes.

Reply to
simy1

Are freshly dug potatoes better nutrition-wise than stored (assuming, of course, both are from your own garden)?

I'm a'hoping so 'cuz I prefer to leave mine in the ground until ready to eat them, partly flavor and partly so I can harvest something when all else is gone. :-)

I hadn't thought of red, ripe peppers being more nutritious than green; I'll leave more of mine on the plant now. Usually, I'm anxious to eat them so let few go red.

Glenna

Reply to
Glenna Rose

Agreed. I'm sure my lo-carb bud Ruth (RPM1) will probably jump in but the secret to low-carb diets is this:

When you eliminate the carbs, you're also eliminating a huge vector for high fat, high calorie junk and this may be why some people lose weight on the diet. No bread means no butter or high-fat, high-cal spreads, no Fettucini Alfredo or other cream sauces for the pasta, no butter and sour cream on the potatoes, no cake or sweets, and so forth and so on.

The basic equation still boils down to total calories consumed vs. total calories expended.

Mary

Reply to
Mary McHugh