Lotty Life

Hello all,

Ive just been allocated an allottment from my local council and am busy now prepairing the ground to plant veg.My quetion is what to plant or put in now?

Here is a list of the things i would like to grow.

potatoes beetroot carrotts kale onions broad beans pumpkins squash

Am open to all sugestions,regards beau.

Reply to
BEAU66

Turnips, Parsnips, Radish. Radish are quick growers, so you can interplant with the carrots, and by harvesting the radish, you're providing more space for the carrots to expand into.

Lettuces, Spinach, Chard, Broccoli, Cauliflower.

Garlic, Shallots, Chives I have a bunch of shallots I've just planted recently, from shallots stored from last spring.

What, like lima and fava? Pole and Runner beans are a fave in our household. Blue Lake 274, Purple Podded Pole. Scarlet Runner. Also peas, which you could be planting now (sugar snap peas are tasty and the whole pod is edible).

Squash vines will take up space. Be prepared for that. However, the winter varieties store nicely. Summer squash (of which I have several started already), are great in pasta.

I note you don't list Tomatoes, Cucumbers, Corn, or any melons...

If you are to have the same allotment from year to year, you might plant asparagus, Artichoke, and Cardoon, which are perennials. Raspberries are good too.

Reply to
Sean Straw

What is your climate? How long is your growing season between frosts and what season is it now? How much space do you have?

Without more details you are asking how long is a piece of string.

David Hare-Scott