Little green pepper pests

This is my first year growing peppers and I've just found little green bugs under the leaves. They're the same green as the leaf and probably no more than a few millimetres in size. Any idea what they are and how to control them? Not sure they'd come out very well in a photo.

Thanks!

..

Zone 5a in Canada's Far East.

Reply to
cloud dreamer

Aphids most likely? Are they teardrop shaped?

Order a quart of ladybird beetles (ladybugs)

Or use a tobacco tea spray. Soak cigarettes in water, put in a sprayer bottle.

Reply to
OmManiPadmeOmelet

Yes, they do appear to be teardrop shaped.

I've seen suggestions for a chili soap spray for aphids. Would that work as well?

(I'm not a smoker :)

..

Zone 5a in Canada's aphid infested Far East!

Reply to
cloud dreamer

I've never used chili spray.

I'm not a smoker either and neither was mom, but she sprang for a pack of ciggies to make the tea.

It worked. ;-)

Garlic emulsion spray is supposed to work for a lot of pests but it's more a repellant than a pesticide. Tobacco tea will kill them.

Personally, I'd go for the ladybugs if you can wait for a shipment. Check google for sources. They are a renewable pest control. The larvae would be even better if you can get them...

Reply to
OmManiPadmeOmelet

I've given them a spray of the chili soap water and it definitely knocks thems off the leaves. It's only three plants so it's not hard to keep up with them. If there were more, I'd spring for the ladybugs. (There aren't many here...I'd be lucky to see a single ladybug in a season...probably too windy for them).

I'll harass my sister tomorrow for a few smokes and apply that if they return. So far, I haven't seen them on anything else. They're in a greenhouse with a couple of tomato plants and they're fine...so far.

Thanks.

..

Zone 5a in Canada's Aphid-free Far East.

Reply to
cloud dreamer

Most welcome. :-) Best of luck!

Reply to
OmManiPadmeOmelet

Reply to
Steve Peek

You don't have to be. I buy a new bag of loose tobacco every spring and call it my insecticide.... it's cheaper than the rolled cigs and easier to use.

-K

Reply to
Nightingale