lettuces

I planted about 5 different lettuces, and they were great. I have been picking leaves from around the sides of the plants thinking that they would last all summer, but now they are starting to bolt. Is there anything I can do to keep them from going to seed? Or at least from getting bitter.
Jack in hot NYC
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Jack1000) wrote:

Pinch out the bolt???
That's what I do with Basil. :-) And coleus.
K.
--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Jack1000) wrote in message

the standard answer is you seed a few plants every month or so. But that is not what I do. What I do is plant twice (once in september and once in april) lettuces with different maturing time (that buys you a month) and most important, some in full sun and some in shade. The shaded ones are still going strong and because they are interplanted in garlic I usually pull them when I pull the garlic in early august. You can also increase the degree of shade, such as obtained under the tomatoes. Under the zucs there is too much shade.