Late Frost

Hi

I woke up this morning to find the tops of my early potatoes had bee damaged by the late frost last night. This is my first year of havin an allotment and i am learning all the time!!

There is another frost forecast tonight and i am worried that if w have a repeat of last night it might finish the potatoes and might als damage my french beans (dwarf & climbing) and kidney beans

Any advice on how to protect them would be appreciated.......an quickly!

I am in the East Mids (UK) and the plot is quite windy and open

Thank

-- mw80

Reply to
mw80

West coast here. Tent with plastic sheeting and anchor well. A temporary wind break would be helpful. A wooden picnic table or something.

Reply to
Billy

Fabric works better than plastic to protect against frost. I use old sheets and blankets.

Reply to
Omelet

personally i like my breakfast with fros

-- Kate_Garraway

Reply to
Kate_Garraway

Earth them up. This should solve your problem.

Richard M. Watkin.

Reply to
R M. Watkin

I bow to your experience but I'd think fabric would let the ground heat out, especially with wind. On the other hand with plastic, I wouldn't want any touching the plant. Thoughts? of it touching the plant.

Reply to
Billy

It touching the plant is what I had trouble with. :-) Seems to touch freeze worse with plastic than fabric.

YMMV...

Reply to
Omelet

Hilarious........